Any Tandanus catfish owners here?

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi, I have a juvie (4-5in) tandanus tandanus catfish in a 2ft 20g grow out tank. I am in the process of getting materials together to make him a 4x2x2ft (over 100g) tank for him. In the meantime he will probably outgrow the 2footer, so ill put him in a medium sized pond 'till I finish the tank. Anyone here ever owned one? they are great fish Ive had mine about 2 weeks hes already grown nearly an inch or more and is feeding out of the palm of my hand. He's an awesome little guy. cheers

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Very few keepers here. Most I've seen on Planet Catfish and even there just several, maybe.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
oh, thats sad, they are awesome catfish when properly maintained, and can grow to 3ft, occasionally bigger. mine is very active, and completely peaceful. They are even more awesome when you have seen 70cm+ ones in their natural habitat while snorkelling! I have also on many occasions observed their nests in the wild in less than 3ft of crystal clear water.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I think I've only ever seen one (or something similar) for sale once. We don't get a lot of Australian stuff here in the states.

That being said, they look awesome, and having one eat out of your hand has to be fun.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Yeah, once he smells the hikari carnivore pellets he goes spastic! It feels really cool when she eats from my hand (its a female, as it has a ^ shaped genital papilla), the whiskers tickle. It will be cool handfeeding it when it gets 1ft+. I also nearly have my 1.5in fire mouth nearly hand feeding. Most people say firemouths are very retiring, but mine is as active and fearless as my red devil/midas hybrid (R.I.P Cuddles) :(

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Seems like a pretty cool cat. I've got a collection of cats including bronze corys, an asian bumblebee, a striped raph, and a sailfin pleco but none of them come close to being as cool as a Tandan, except maybe my asian bumblebee (check this out!: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...74862-Asian-bumblebee-catfish-grow-out-thread).

That'd be cool to see one in the wild, I am an avid diver (where my name comes from) and prefer my local quarries to the tropics and I see A LOT of gigantic catfish. Last year when I took my first (and now annual) trip to gilboa quarry I nearly got a channel cat to take pellet from my hand, it got about a foot away so I let go of the pellets and it about knocked out my reg when it "attacked" the food! Catfish are just awesome :headbang2

I wish you good luck with your cat!

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Seems like a pretty cool cat. I've got a collection of cats including bronze corys, an asian bumblebee, a striped raph, and a sailfin pleco but none of them come close to being as cool as a Tandan, except maybe my asian bumblebee (check this out!: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...74862-Asian-bumblebee-catfish-grow-out-thread).

That'd be cool to see one in the wild, I am an avid diver (where my name comes from) and prefer my local quarries to the tropics and I see A LOT of gigantic catfish. Last year when I took my first (and now annual) trip to gilboa quarry I nearly got a channel cat to take pellet from my hand, it got about a foot away so I let go of the pellets and it about knocked out my reg when it "attacked" the food! Catfish are just awesome :headbang2

I wish you good luck with your cat!
What catfish have you seen under water, and how big :D?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What catfish have you seen under water, and how big :D?

Yellow Bullheads from 10-18" (yes 18" as impossible as it sounds)
Channel Cats from 18-42"
Flatheads Cats from 18-44"

Hoping to see some madtoms when I go skorkeling in my local creeks once it gets a bit warmer.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Yellow Bullheads from 10-18" (yes 18" as impossible as it sounds)
Channel Cats from 18-42"
Flatheads Cats from 18-44"

Hoping to see some madtoms when I go skorkeling in my local creeks once it gets a bit warmer.
42 Channelcat? Didnt know they got that big :)
Good luck with the snorkeling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store