Who out there uses K1 in their sump?

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
I'm hoping to get some info from your experience with K1 in sumps. I've just purchased a whack of it used (I think 85L). Tank is 300g, will be African peacocks/haps, sump will be 75g. Trying to get a feel for how much K1 media to use as I am designing the sump. I like the idea of overkill but then there is OVERKILL! I think I can fit 50L in the sump if I have nothing else other than narrow inlet area for some mechanical filtration and narrow area for the return pump (and I've got to fit in 3 x 300W heaters somehow). I am unsure if I should use all available space for K1 or if I should make compartments 1 & 3 abit roomier or even a small compartment where I could put in bagged media for whatever reason I may have (no intentions at this point).

Thanks.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
i design my own sump and i spaced out for 3 things 1st.. 1st you have to know what size sock or mechanical filtration you want to use.. my situation was 7" sock. 2nd is the heater length so i can place them into my last compartment of the sump with the pump. last is the media like you have mention.. given the size of the media bag width i made my compartment @ 7" from baffle to baffle.. i personally haven't gone into K1 yet but since i have 2 media compartments available i'm planning of adding them into the sump.. but i'll let you try it 1st..

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
I still don't know if my heaters (3x300w ebo jagers) will fit into my anticipated pump chamber. They will need to be on a front to back angle that is for sure. Unless I fit them under the K1 chamber and have some sort of mesh/screen divider to separate the heaters sitting on the bottom with the K1 above. Not sure how that would work? May need to modify the dimensions but will due trial run before siliconing anything! Was hoping soupa2 you would figure it out first ;)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
i use it. i love it.

Has to be strongly and permanently kept in boiling condition.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Well my bottom glass is 1.5 off the sump bottom so if anything I would just stick course foam to block K1s from going into other compartments. I'm also using 3 x300 watt jagars also. So like I told u before just space the most important things 1st then worry about media compartments.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RDFISHGUY

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
Red Deer, AB.
I use it in my 75 gallon sump along with an ultima 2. I love how it works. Just wish I had more. I have 50l.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store