Length of time I could keep RTC in 6x2x2?

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Now I want no flames! I have not got the fish! I repeat, I do not have the fish lol.

Now, a friend of mine recently came into possession of a tiny 4" rtc. He has a 90g.. So he can't house it. My new tanks exact measurements are -
L - 185cm
H - 65cm
D - 65cm

781 litres + a 300litre sump.

I'm thinking of taking it off him. He'd be with my 18" Achara (dw about predation. He's been with 2" Cats before and never bothered)

I've built an insulated shed with the dimensions of -
L - 18'
H - 11'
w - 9 '

I'll either build a 10.5 x 5 x 3 tank or a tropical pond ( shed holds a steady 27°C )

So my question is, how long can I keep the RTC in the 6ft

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
You will be good for about 6 to 8 months. Don't feed it like a hog and you will be fine. They are like Oscar they will eat all the time no matter how full/much they consume. The only difference is they keep growing where as the Oscar don't lol.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
You will be good for about 6 to 8 months. Don't feed it like a hog and you will be fine. They are like Oscar they will eat all the time no matter how full/much they consume. The only difference is they keep growing where as the Oscar don't lol.
Yeahh lool. I only feed heavy every 2 -3 days. otherwise it's light feeding.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
In my book, until it reaches 12" TL.
I'd agree with that. RTCs are pretty active any time they aren't full IME. Mine's 16" approximately and is always patrolling the tank. If powerfed it might be alright to let it get a bit larger because it will be more sedentary but it will hit 18" in the time it would take to reach 12" if it were fed sparingly and the mantra goes "a hungry fish is a healthy fish." Less than a year for sure, likely 6 months or less.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
I'd agree with that. RTCs are pretty active any time they aren't full IME. Mine's 16" approximately and is always patrolling the tank. If powerfed it might be alright to let it get a bit larger because it will be more sedentary but it will hit 18" in the time it would take to reach 12" if it were fed sparingly and the mantra goes "a hungry fish is a healthy fish." Less than a year for sure, likely 6 months or less.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
hmm that could work tbh. my shed is ready for next level accommodation so I could have either tank/pond ready for him n whiskers (achara cat, my sister named him)

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
If you can only house it there until its 12", then you cant house it in a 10' x 5' tank as fullygrown.
If i where ever to get an RTC, i'd definetly not house it in anything smaller than 4 times the lenght, and 2 times the width :D

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
If you can only house it there until its 12", then you cant house it in a 10' x 5' tank as fullygrown.
If i where ever to get an RTC, i'd definetly not house it in anything smaller than 4 times the lenght, and 2 times the width :D
lol who said the final home would be a 10x5? as that was my original upgrade but truthfully, I'm more inclined to do a trop pond. Heating wouldn't be too bad as that shed has maintained a solid 27°C last 6 months. I'd probs house it in the 10.5x5x3 which is a 1000g.. that'd do it for at least another year or so lol. there's no way an RTC will outgrow a 1000g in less than a year

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store