Endlicheri; fin nippers?

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Hey all you fellow Polypterus nuts, I was hoping to get some input as to the endi's behavioral compatibility with a specific fish!

Long story short, I am setting up a standard 240 (96x24x25) grow out for an Acanthicus adonis and Megalodoras uranoscopus. My main question is whether or not an endi would be prone to biting the trailers of the adonis. I know they're generally not antagonistic towards any fish that is to large to be considered a food source, but do you think it'd be able to maintain its composure with tantalizing trailers dangled in front of its face?

The adonis is going to be the star of the show, so it is of utmost importance to me that his trailers remain intact. It's just that the Polypterus obsessed part of me can't resist wanting to put an endi in the 240 to grow out as well!

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I currently have a black volta endli, ansorgii and ornate with a 4" adonis and there have been no problems so far. The streamers are still really long and the endli has been with it about 4 months so far.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My tigrinus has trailers and the polys don't bother them. Dunno on plecos but on regular? Catfish they grow constantly and break off to grow some more.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
I currently have a black volta endli, ansorgii and ornate with a 4" adonis and there have been no problems so far. The streamers are still really long and the endli has been with it about 4 months
That bodes well for my plan then! Thanks a lot, very encouraging!

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
My tigrinus has trailers and the polys don't bother them. Dunno on plecos but on regular? Catfish they grow constantly and break off to grow some more.
Having polys in with a tig would certainly be a true test as to wether they'd nip at trailers. Tigs have to be one of the most filamently endoud fish out there! I'm familiar with certain species of cats "dropping" their trailers and regrowing them, not sure if that is a trait expressed with Acanthicus sp. or not though. I suppose only time will tell.

Thanks for the fast replies everyone, keep em' coming!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store