Micro bugs into tank help.

ookutoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
bloomfield NJ 07003
Hey guys. Recently I bought a plant to try out in my tank. After a week I just didn't like it anymore. So I removed it and today I'm doing a water change and see little Microscopic gray/white bugs on the glass,surface of the water and they jump. There's a lot in there. What are they and what should I do? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I'd do a large water change, at least 50-60%, and try and get up as many as possible. If you have a surface skimmer, try running that on high, too. It sounds like there were some type of eggs in the plant you put in. If you can't siphon them off the glass, take a credit card and scrape the glass first, and then siphon up whatever off the bottom.

ookutoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
bloomfield NJ 07003
I'd do a large water change, at least 50-60%, and try and get up as many as possible. If you have a surface skimmer, try running that on high, too. It sounds like there were some type of eggs in the plant you put in. If you can't siphon them off the glass, take a credit card and scrape the glass first, and then siphon up whatever off the bottom.
Yea that could be the case. I try to siphon up high kinda like a surface skimmer with a holes just now and seems to remove most of the bugs. Did a 50% WC and Still see a couple but def not as much. They jump around as I try to kill them from the glass lol.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

These are springtails. Not harmful. They're part of the ecosystem. Look closely and you'll find them in your potted house plants as well.

HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store