Shrimp Question

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Has anyone fed their ray with shrimp like this?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397183577.683249.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397183593.061920.jpg

It says raw and everything, but I'm used to seeing it more gray and white. This has a brown or reddish color to it. It says it has sodium bisulfite as a preservative.

To feed or not to feed. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Looks like it just has the shell on it still. But i have bought them like this and they looked grey like you say. These ones look like they are half cooked, so i am not sure?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I think it would be fine tbh, I feed cooked peeled and tail off, nice and easy.

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
I thought it is probably ok, just want to make sure. I am keeping shell on and all. Maybe they get some additional nutrients from them or something.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
sodium bisulfate is simply the salt the use to preserve the shrimp. there will be some remaining, but rinsing it will rid it of some.
i would almost go with the fresh or frozen stuff over salted, but with a rinsing, it should be fine.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Usually all seafood turns orange or pink whatever you want to call it when you boil it. It's fine to feed in my opinion.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
The color is from the shell. I feed my rays similar shrimp, but peel it as they don't like the shell. I soak and rinse all of my ray food in freshwater for several minutes before feeding to help remove the salts.
Also of importance is your shrimp is wild caught, not a farmed product. There is debate over farmed shrimp and the food they are fed.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
My local mart just started carrying fresh caught from the gulf. It has a pinkish tint and is raw. On a side note has anyone noticed the price increase on shrimp and seafood in general.
I caught my mart had increased pricing on shrimp between 1.50 -2 bucks a bag (16oz). Then I notice they werent even 16oz bags anymore but 12oz bags. So they increased price that much but decreased the amount by 25%. Friggin snakes. Guess they figure people wouldnt even notice since the bags look identical.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store