Oscars not eating

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
Hi guys i gt myself 2 beautiful baby oscars but they are not eating could they be stressed out? Or something but they come near me when I go near the tank pls guide me
Thx

Sent from my GT-I8552 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Oscars are known to be good eaters. These are still pretty new to your tank and still settling in, going by your other recent post. Give them time and they will come around.

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
Thx fr the reply I will try feeding them tomorrow to see if they eat

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
Hi guys
Just a small update
It has been 8 days since ny oscars have eaten anything and now I have like started ****ting bricks
I would not like to loose them guys pls help they only look at thr food and keep looking at it but none of them eats it
I have tried different pellets still same then live worms and blood worms ,dry worms even beef heart and shrimp still same I do 50% water changes once in 3 days
am I doing anything wrong
Pls guide me
Thx

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Have you checked parameters on your water? Was this a new tank or cycled?

In the picture you posted it was bare bottom, this might just make the fish nervous too. A bit of substrate and some decor might help.

Possible parasite? Did you see the fish poop at all when you got them? Was it white and stringy?

Those would be the basics I would be looking at.

xaenali

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2014
Pakistan
Don't freak out it is normal....i have two oscars when i bought them they didnot eat for weeks too ...but after that everything became normal ....so basically it is just because of the new environment/place ....so let them adjust ...

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
This is a new tank yes I am not sure wat u mean by cycled but I do change water once in 3 days
i think that is cycling bout poop im not sure I am seeing normal poop even if they have not eaten anything so I am not sure if this helps
im not sure bout which parameters do I need to look if u can guide me
Also I will try adding some stones in the tank to make them feel better
Will post the pictures soon when I add stones
Thx

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
A new tank has not had the time to build up the proper beneficial bacteria needed to break down fish waste and keep all your parameters in check. Many times you will see an ammonia spike with a new tank which is not healthy for your fish and can cause them to stress. It would be a good idea to get yourself a nice freshwater test kit. Most of the times when your fish are acting strange, a simple water test will reveal why. Most of the times it usually high ammonia or nitrates or sometimes a PH fluctuation. If a kit is too expensive check with some of your local fish stores, some will test your water for free.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
This is a new tank yes I am not sure wat u mean by cycled but I do change water once in 3 days i think that is cycling
This could very likely be the issue a new tank that hasn't cycled yet...could be causing spikes in ammonia as another poster said

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store