Weird question but can you put an acrylic tank back together after it's been cut?

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I am getting an 8x3widex2tall acrylic tank that was sawed in half to get out of the house. My question... is there a way that the two sides can be put back together? If not I might make 2-4x3x2 tanks out of it. I was thinking if you laid an 8 inch or so wide layer of acrylic over the two pieces, where they were cut, that it might hold the two sides together, or is that just a crazy thought? lol Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Did a little bit of research and it seems very possible....which is pretty exciting. lol I have a few more detailed questions now.

1st- I haven't seen in person how crooked or bad the cut is, but it looks fairly straight in the pictures. My question would be... since both sides would have the same lines would I have to worry about cutting or buffing down each side so they are perfectly level?

2nd- Would any thickness of acrylic work to melt over the seem on the inside of the tank, or is thicker better?

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
3rd- I'm reading weld on 40 is the way to go, but it says acrylic should be annealed before application... What does it mean by this and is it necessary?

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Thanks for the thought castro. I have been reading that it's best to make the edges flat, smooth and as level as possible, but that's for building a tank from scratch. I'm not sure if it would change any, considering it's been sawed in half. I would think that the bracing should be interior, which is similar to the process if you were repairing/sealing a crack. I won't care greatly about how clean/noticeable the seam will be, as I will frame the tank in and make it look as if there is two 4 foot viewing panels. I am picking up the tank next weekend so I can post pictures of it then.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Note to self and others. Never post when your goin to pick something up on here or people will pretend to be you and go pick it up before you get there. Some people are rude, inconsiderate *******s and I hope who ever did this ends up with 360 gallons of water on their floor. Karma....I hope it gives you what you deserve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store