What do rays see?

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I have been very curious as to how stingray eyes function and what they see but I have not found any information on the topic. Any of you have any information or thoughts on the subject?
With my rays, it seems their eyes serve little purpose. They seem to rely mainly, if not purely, on other senses rather than sight.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
rays definitely do not rely on other senses alone. they actually can visually distinguish human beings by their faces, such as knowing they are safe when their owner is around vs moving to the back of the tank if it's not their owner or someone they know.
the only reason they seem to not be so good at seeing, and you would have trouble trying to get stuff in your mouth too, is because they have the entirety of their disk between their eyes and mouth.
give them credit, they are amazing creatures, very smart and can figure out puzzles and games and escape techniques, and they do have more extensive eyesight than given credit for.
elsewise, how would they know if you have food coming to them from across the room/down the hall and beg for it?

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Mine come to the front of the tank as soon as they see me so I take it they can see quite well and even more their sense of smell is nothing short of amazing!!!

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Mine really don't seem to see anything at all. There is no recognition through the glass and they only "see" worms when they are right in front of them. I hand feed and they don't seem to see my hand unless they run into it. When the male is annoying the female he doesn't duck his eye until her tail actually touches it while jabbing at him. Same with decor, they don't tuck their eye from obstacles until they feel it. Tubbing them to transport to another tank has never been too difficult either being that that will scoot right in there with little hesitation until they feel the container. Their other senses are phenomenal though.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Most elasmos see very well. Some even see in full color. If you look up some of the old research from the late 80's and early 90's, there are a few eye studies done. I want to say Dr. Ross was part of some of them...but I might be making that up.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I couldn't find any studies but I will keep looking. I have experimented with their eye sight at nearly every feeding since some of my rays need hand fed. There hasn't even been a hint of visual recognition. I wonder what could cause impaired vision. The tank is full of various tank mates who all see just fine.
Scholarly links would be much appreciated.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Most elasmos see very well. Some even see in full color. If you look up some of the old research from the late 80's and early 90's, there are a few eye studies done. I want to say Dr. Ross was part of some of them...but I might be making that up.
i'm remembering a study they conducted where they placed tubes in the tank, one side painted with white markings and the other side with red. they would place food in one end consistently to see if rays could indeed see in color, and after the rays realized that the food was placed each time in the corresponding colored end, they would immediately go to that end and disregard the end they knew didn't contain the food.

is this the study you were thinking of also?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store