fish room complete wtf

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
Doesn't prime fix all water problems. Moved into my new house and it has a well, due to the water never being out of spigot they put chlorine to kill the stuff for a bit. I haven't had a time to run it good. I set my Texas tank up did the do. It went from 75 degree water to 78 and was fine for about 30 minutes. I went to run arrands and came back to him dead. What do you think happened. The chlorine was heavy but I double dosed with prime. Not a novice so I am worried. I am heating room at 84 to get 80 water temp. This was my full grown boy to

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Did you have the water tested? Well water can contain all kinds of fun things... Maybe a major difference in ph could also have had an effect?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Yeah, I doubt it was chlorine. Probably something else in the water. Prime doesn't get everything.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Check county water table testing reports. There are plenty of cases of contaminated water from old industrial dumping grounds and such. Prime is by no means a magic chemical that can make anything safe.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
thing is I built my house back on my families property, differant well but only about 500 yds from my moms house and i had my fish fine there, even on same under ground stream. I checked everything but ph and it was in params. could it be my pipes, my water when flushed is still browninsh and today the 75 my texas was in was brown. The guy who did my hvac, said when he built his house he was worried about the stuff in pipes they use, since the pipes were fresh, either way keepin my tanks at the other house till i figure this out, will check ph and water tables. btw i didnt change towns when i moved just 10 miles from one part of city to other, and used seeded sponge filters

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
prime only good up to 2ppm, if they really dosed may not have been able to handle it, hardy fish do not just drop dead. how did his gills look? also a severe water temp change can shock them out. but that is usually not the norm.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many times a new well, with new pipes, is "shocked" with a very high dose of chlorine to disinfect in order to keep human drinkers from getting sick.
So along with a heavy pipe flush, you may need to triple dose your dechlorinator.
Does your water smell of bleach?
Also, I doubt that the Texas died from temp, cyannoguttatus easily handle temps in the high 60sF. I have kept them in outside tanks, in Milwaukee in summer, where night temps dip to the low 60s without a problem. I see no need for 80' for Texas, or in fact most mainland central American cichlids.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
prime is safe up to 5 times the recommended dose. but if they did use a shock, (those with hot tubs and pools know what that means) I dowt prime could have covered it.

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
80s is what room stays, i can lower but then my other community fish might not like, yes I research about the wells, the water smelled of chlorine, at the time I didnt know of the chlorine treatment, Gf smelled the water afte he was dead and you could smell it just standing over tank, I am letting water run occasionally throughout day. I doubt it was temp shock, water was only 3 degress higher than bucket. the dead fish look normal, no red gills are anyting, whiteish at the most... btw I am giving the well guy hell on Monday, I was NOT told any treatment, once this smell dies off anyway to buy a kit to test chlorine levels, like an api liqud kit, I dont want to send anymore fis to slaughter but need to move them in a somewhat soon time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store