New to sump systems.......on the right track?

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Ok so im setting up my new 375g next weekend I have an fx5 thats up and running currently that's being transferred over.......I've ordered a aqueon proflex model 4 sump, eshopp overflow box, plumbing kits for the 1" drains, clamps ect., ball valves, bio ball/ drip tray kit( the bio balls have been floating in the tank for a couple weeks) and a mag 12 return pump.........the overflow box runs up to1000gph the mag 12 runs up to 1200 gph......I'm pretty sure I've got everything and a good plan. thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well I personally would return the sump you just bought as those cost a real pretty penny.. Then keep everything else, you could just get a spare tank and silicone some dividers and you'll have tons more room for media, socks, and heaters/pump. Those sumps easily run 300 dollars and a diy sump costs less than 100 if you can scope a good tank on craigs. The sump doesnt have to be huge but I would recommend a 55 gal at the least.

The problem I have noticed with those sumps is that the foot print is pretty tiny... I have a 35 gal sump the same style as the aqueon sumps and I find the pump running dry after 5 days at only 76-78 degrees. A lid does help but that model 4 is also a 35 gal and evaporation is going to be a pain in the butt. The only reason I havent switched over to a 55 gal or a 75 gal is because I cant fit it under the stand through the doors lol...

And I think you'll find your going to need a larger pump and a 55 gal will allow it. If you do keep the one you bought and try adding a 2400 gph pump you'll find out why I dislike them. It runs the sump dry and to compensate you must add more water. Once you get the sump topped off and god forbid the power goes out or you unplug it, your going to have a flood.

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Im not a big fan of the hassle or looks of diy equipment. Cost im not really concerned with cause let's face it u can't take it with u when u die lol my biggest concern at this point is that I wasn't able to match up the flow rate between the overflow and the return pump but I did get ball valves so I have full control over the flow and as far as losing power I have several backup generators I don't go without power lol

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
The pump and overflow should be just fine. Depending on your 1200gph pump will lose 2-5% of its max flow per foot of height. So it should work out, but if it doesnt you could just drill a bigger hole in the overflow and get another bulk head or just plain out buy another overflow box! lol But your flow should match up perfectly from the overflow box to the pump.

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
The return is also going to run through a sterilizer so my hope is that it will all kinda even out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store