Took a gamble on a different looking RTC - thoughts?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Well, I was at one of my favorite local fish stores and there was a tank FULL of baby RTC's. I stood there staring thinking of the fabled dwarf version wishing I could find one. After a long while of staring into the tank, I noticed one looked a little shorter that every other fish in there.

After a somewhat short internal struggle, I called over an employee and told him I'd take one; one in particular. He fished the little guy out for me, and I went to pay. The owner told me he looked a little different and asked if I wanted a different one. I calmly said no, he's the one for me.

Now as much as I wanted him to be the mystical dwarf RTC, upon closer inspection at home, it looks like he might just have a messed up tail. I'm posting pics for you guys input. They're the best I could do sitting in front of the tank for 15 minutes with an iPhone.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397276275.823059.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397276284.973733.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397276292.173473.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397276310.790305.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397276319.840735.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397276336.440083.jpg

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Im no expert and I was very skeptical reading this post but after looking at the pics you may be onto something. ..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
Where did you get him at? Seeing as you appear to be around my location

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Spinal deformity. What is commonly referred to in the hobby as a "short body", though to what level of extreme is yet to be seen. Keep us updated with pics as he grows out a bit.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Will do Karl! And Paul, I found him up at Greenbelt Aquarium. If we are indeed close to one another, I'd love to check out your bichir collection some time! Mine has grown to 4 recently.

I admit, though it is hard to see in my pics, there is a definite deformity in his tail region. He was a definite oddity in the tank, and was noticeably shorter than everyone else, but I realize that it doesn't mean he's a true short body. Well, time to start growing out another monster. Hope I don't run out of tank too quickly.

Thank for the input everyone, I will keep you posted - also, not that it's a surprise, but the little guy easy VERY well. I sometimes worry he will pop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store