LFS selling whiptail Stingrays near 92647?

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
I know freshwater Whiptail Stingrays are legal in California, but can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know of a local fish store that sells them near 92647/Huntington Beach, CA? Open to Hystrix as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
If i remember correctly all potomotrygon are illegal in californian, but "Freshwater" Whiptail stingrays i dont know.
I'm also thinking that Whiptail Stingrays are brakish or marine, not sure tho.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Yes, all rays are illegal to own, and sell in California.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
All "FW" rays are illegal but "SW" rays are not. The whiptail that the OP is looking for is legal here since it is technically a "SW" ray but finding 1 is gonna be difficult.

To the op, your best bet is to look online. I live 20 min south of you and Tongs would be your best bet to get 1 but I highly doubt they will.

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
All "FW" rays are illegal but "SW" rays are not. The whiptail that the OP is looking for is legal here since it is technically a "SW" ray but finding 1 is gonna be difficult.

To the op, your best bet is to look online. I live 20 min south of you and Tongs would be your best bet to get 1 but I highly doubt they will.

Thanks for the help! I live down the street from Tong's. They have a vendor for whiptails but they're increasingly pricey. Just want to see if there is anyone else around.

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
I see that some are saying Whiptails are brackish - if they're bred and kept in freshwater, would they acclimate over time? Aka are there Whiptails that have been bred and maintained in freshwater for generations?

ICatchSmallone

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2011
California
I see that some are saying Whiptails are brackish - if they're bred and kept in freshwater, would they acclimate over time? Aka are there Whiptails that have been bred and maintained in freshwater for generations?
they could acclimate, but almost always fatal. prepare to do a lot of water changes

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
This is a genus you shouldn't keep in FW. It will die. All of the Himantura species need brackish or full marine. Also, most are extremely large and hard to care for.
Yes, they do occur naturally in freshwater ranges, but the waste output to keep their body balanced is outrageous, and more than most aquarium filtration systems can handle.

Also, you should edit the first post to remove the request for hystrix. It's against the rules to solicit illegal species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store