Seachem stability

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Guys gonna tey this today had some question though I have been cycling for almost 3 weeks using danios and tiger barbs as the ammonia source no nitrite or nitrate and been doing wc when ammonia hits .5 while using stability do I do wc when ammonia and stuff rises or do I wait until the tankn cycled ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
Whenever I use stability I just let it go without wc's for the week. Never had a problem. Hopefully someonr else can shed some light.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I also hold off on the water changes when using stability. Also, I believe the instructions on the bottle say to keep using it every month or something - I never do this. I only use it to establish the bio and then do water changes every few days as needed based on water tests. I have never lost a fish using stability, so I do recommend it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Tested water and I finally have nitrites.... should u still use the stability ? Will it mess anything up?

Ammonia .25
Nitrite .25
Nitrate .5

Should I leave it alone or use the prime to speed things up?

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
I think prime would send you backwards. If you neutralize the waste you have now then the current bacteria population wouldn't have any food and it would slow down the cycle.

I would keep dosing stability with no water changes.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah I just started it today may not even make a difference.... I tested after I got it and finally have nitrites and nitrates hey maybe it will speed up the rest of the cycle

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I think prime would send you backwards. If you neutralize the waste you have now then the current bacteria population wouldn't have any food and it would slow down the cycle.

Prime just bonds with the ammonia and nitrites but the bb can still consume it. This is from seachem's website

Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them

So it basically just turns it into something harmless but the bb in the filter can still consume it!

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West

Prime doesn't remove ammonia it just binds it into a non toxic form until your bio can digest it...so using prime will not affect your bio but it may save your fish until tank is fully cycled

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
nitrites went up today can I do a wc tomorrow before dosing with the stability ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store