African arowana feeding help

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ive had my afrowana for about a year and a half. It grew from 2" to a foot in the first year in my 75. I moved him into my 180 in august of 2013. Since then he has only grown to 15". He eats a pound of bloodworms a week, fed every day. He also eats(or tries to eat) massivore, tilapia, and krill when I feed my other fish 5 times a week. I do weekly 50-75% water changes. Lights are on in the tank only a few days a week. Tank is in the basement so there is not a lot of traffic to stress him either.

Why isnt he growing anymore? I was expecting him to be at least 18" by this point. Ive done everything I can and I fear that he is stunted. Tank mates are 15 polypterus, leopard ctenopoma, kingslaye ctenopoma, and a schilbe intermedius cat. He is definitely king of the tank, no tank mates bother him. If they do, they are in for a beating.

Temp: 78
Ph:7.4
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate:20ppm

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Is the bloodworms frozen? If frozen best to stop feeding bloodworms and other frozen foods. Frozen foods contain thiamese which lowers thiamine or vitamin B1 which ur aro need to grow. Massivores are a bit biggers but try to feed it hikari jumbo sticks or aro sticks. Carnivore delite are much smaller than massivore and it's more prefered to swallow. I feed mine carnivore pellets, aro sticks, jumbo carni sticks and cichlid gold sinking. It can swallow those pellets easier than massivore. I tried massivore before but it get tired from grinding it till it only spits it out. Also place ur temp at 80-82F to increase metabolism.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
I'll pick up a bag of aro sticks and see how he likes them. The only thing I know he eats is bloodworms, everything else just gets spit out. He won't eat brine shrimp.
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That's one of the problem keeping african aro that grow up eatinh bloodworms. They get addicted to eating bloodworm. Bloodworm are only good with juvenile fish. If you want the same nutritional content for adults you gonna end up feeding more bloodworm. A lot of people keep mistakenly that bloodworm will make their fish grow fast, but that's only with smaller fish as they have smaller body. It will not have the same results for adults though as bigger body mean feeding more bloodworms. My african arowana was actually introduced to pellets when it was at 6" as well as other frozen foods. But had to chopped the frozen food to small pieces to help it swallow. I stop feeding my fish frozen foods now though, just occasional. They get thicker with pellets. You'll notice when u look at it from top view and see the tail area down to caudal pentacle. It will become thicker and the body become wider with a bit of arch back rather than the streamline cylinder shape.

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
I was thinking of getting a p. afer. Have you successfully mixed these species? The guy I'm looking at is about 5-6" and has a few gold spots. Will he get more spots as he grows?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store