Hydrolicus Armatus

arowana666

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
rotterdam holland
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397326473.488566.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397326485.586059.jpg
I just bought my first armatus and i was wondering. The guy in the lfs sad it was a special sub. but did not know anything else about it. Maybe some one her can tel me more.

And any advise on how to ceep him healthy is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

characinator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2013
FL
Looks like a red tail tat, not armatus. Sub shouldn't matter. You can even keep them in bare tanks if you wanted. Very nice fish.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Looks like a red tail tat, not armatus. Sub shouldn't matter. You can even keep them in bare tanks if you wanted. Very nice fish.
Yes, this is Hydrolycus tatauaia, not H. armatus. In reference to the "special sub" in the OP, he was referring to sub-species, not sub-strate. Regardless, the dealer is clearly one of two things, an amateur when it comes to fish identification, or a vendor willingly trying to sell tats as armatus. Either way, I'm not sure if that's the place I'd be giving my hard earned cash.

arowana666

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
rotterdam holland
Been going there for years and he never steered me wrong and i saw the label from the wholesaler so i had no reason to doubt it.

characinator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2013
FL
Yes, this is Hydrolycus tatauaia, not H. armatus. In reference to the "special sub" in the OP, he was referring to sub-species, not sub-strate. Regardless, the dealer is clearly one of two things, an amateur when it comes to fish identification, or a vendor willingly trying to sell tats as armatus. Either way, I'm not sure if that's the place I'd be giving my hard earned cash.
Haha you might be right about the intended meaning of "sub".@op, tat's are very nice fish. Very pretty, esp once the tail reddens up some more. Did you happen to see which country in south america it was imported from? I'd be willing to bet Peru.

arowana666

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
rotterdam holland
I have been asking around but the consensus is that it is a armatus
Recognized by its adipose fin being black with a red spot instead of being red like the rest if the fins

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
is that tail rot going on there? They do get nice with the red tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store