Suggestions on filter choice

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I currently have a 75 gallon, but will be upgrading likely to a 125 when I move in about 3 months. My plans are for a much larger tank (either bought or built), but likely not for 1+years down the road. So my thoughts were to get a standard 125 that could be used as a sump as opposed to one with a built in overflow when the time comes to upgrade again. So, I currently have a fluval 406, aquaclear 110, and a coral life uv 18watt on the 75. The ac 110 has given me all kinds of issues with noise (probably my fault due to sand in the tank) so I am not moving it over.. I wanted to add a sump with one of these but was not sure how well they work? My other option was buying another canister like an fx6, but like the item of a sump to hide the uv and heaters. I was also debating just adding a couple hob filters that may be a little more quiet than the ac... Anyways I was hoping someone might have some experience with the overflow boxes and could give some feedback. Thanks

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
I use a 40gal tall for a wet/dry on my 135 RBP tank and a small cannister and my tank is insanely clean and I have minimal noise from it. I have it all hidden in the stand best and easiest thing I've done for that tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Overflow boxes tend to work well, eshops are cheap but there are better options available depending on your budget

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
We'll then start with are you gonna build one or buy one. If you build one all you really need to buy made is the overflow you can look them up online because they make many different styles , but if you buy a whole setup they can range from $250-1000+ if you choose to buy a complete set up I would say Deep Blue they have nice quality stuff

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
This wouldn't be your primary filtration but additionally take a medium sized pot and fill it with silica sand and put it in a dark part of your tank, believe me as weird as it sounds it really reduces nitrates!

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Thanks for the feedback. It seems most overflow boxes regardless of brand are close in price ($50 give or take). I'm not sure if I'm just going to make a wet/dry out of my 75 or buy the whole setup, that's where things seem to get pricy. AROS, thanks for all the feedback, I'll definitely look into Deep Blue. I will also be running the fluval 406 with it and the uv sterilizer, will probably upgrade to a 36 watt though. Divemaster99 - very interesting, never heard of that.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Diy k1 reactors work great, cheap and incredibly efficient

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store