Fish less cycle

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I just baught some seachem stability.. recommended by others.... you will still need an ammonia source though. Could use a bunch of giant danios

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Do you have other tanks running and well aged. You could just use sponges or media from them and save time. Also how many Umbees are putting in the 220 because you could just get it going with them. By doing water changes every other day it will keep the water fresh and build up your bacteria. We started our 150 this way with no problems.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
You do have to have a source of ammonia, where you get it is up to you. People on this site buy ammonia from ace generally or a couple pieces of shrimp in a bag works well but takes some start up time. Some members simply even just pee in their tank until they get a reading lol... Fastest is the store bought ammonia.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
No other tank I could maybe put some bio balls from my wet dry in my brothers tank but would the same bacteria live on submerged bio balls as would live in a wet/dry style bio balls? Could do fish but what do I do with them once the umbee or two move in? Maybe I could just pee in it lol would save water on flushing a toilet

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
The bio balls from your brothers tank will work fine. Put a bunch of them in your filter when you get your Umbees and your off. It is kind of like a instant cycle. Just make sure you get about a gallon worth of the bio balls. Have your tank set up and going and temp right put in your Umbees put the bio balls in the filter and go. You are only getting 2 maybe 3 young Umbees right? I think even a large pair would be fine done this way. As these bio balls will be loaded with bacteria and they will multiply and spread to the rest of your filter media. Just make sure the water is dechlorinated or you could wipe out the bacteria in the bio balls. Make sure you keep the bio balls in some of his tank water until you put them in your filter. You will have an hour roughly to get them into your filter from time of pickup.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea he's growing them out then once we can sex em I'm taking one or two, I'll do the bio ball thing I'll drop them off this week that should give me a month or two for them to grow bacteria in the mean time my tank is filled the pump is not on yet should I turn on the pump and let it run or just leave it filled or drain it ? Just fill it up the week before to get the water up to temp

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
The bio balls from your brothers tank will work fine. Put a bunch of them in your filter when you get your Umbees and your off. It is kind of like a instant cycle. Just make sure you get about a gallon worth of the bio balls. Have your tank set up and going and temp right put in your Umbees put the bio balls in the filter and go. You are only getting 2 maybe 3 young Umbees right? I think even a large pair would be fine done this way. As these bio balls will be loaded with bacteria and they will multiply and spread to the rest of your filter media. Just make sure the water is dechlorinated or you could wipe out the bacteria in the bio balls. Make sure you keep the bio balls in some of his tank water until you put them in your filter. You will have an hour roughly to get them into your filter from time of pickup.
sounds about right!

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I don't what to say about your tank it won't hurt to leave it running. Through a couple of convicts in and let them help in your cycle process. It would be a shame to drain it and start filling again for nothing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store