jacobfreibergi: Males spawning?

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
My jacobfreibergi's are showing odd behavior, I have the two most colorful fish in the tank that doing the mating dance...but....I thought they were both males.

Anybody have this issue?

Edit:

[video]http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/cdrake261/media/Fishes/VID_20140411_215422_877_WMVV8_zpsf3b8719d.mp4.html[/video]

grail63

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Arizona
Are those the only 2 fish in the tank? if so you are asking for trouble. One will eventually become dominate. The dominate one will harass the other to the point that it will probably end up dying from stress or other aggression issues. You need more fish in there to spread the aggression out. Allowing the dominate fish to focus on one target most often leads to death.

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
Are those the only 2 fish in the tank? if so you are asking for trouble. One will eventually become dominate. The dominate one will harass the other to the point that it will probably end up dying from stress or other aggression issues. You need more fish in there to spread the aggression out. Allowing the dominate fish to focus on one target most often leads to death.
There's 5 altogether....had them for a couple months in a 55 gal, they just got upgraded to 125 gal shortly before this posting.

web2844

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Olympia, WA
You definitely need to pack more fish in there. I have a 125 with 40-50 fish in there. The crowd introduces a chaos factor with takes care of aggression issues. There is nothing better than a crowded and active African cichlid tank. Good luck!!!

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
You definitely need to pack more fish in there. I have a 125 with 40-50 fish in there. The crowd introduces a chaos factor with takes care of aggression issues. There is nothing better than a crowded and active African cichlid tank. Good luck!!!
yea...I do need to get more cichlids in this tank, just gets kinda expensive paying $100+ for a half dozen cichlids

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
i agree it does get expensive id love to do an all male tank right now but don't have the time/space or funds :(
Like timbo said your males are sizing each other up, might be a good time to pick which male you like more:thumbsup:

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
i agree it does get expensive id love to do an all male tank right now but don't have the time/space or funds :(
Like timbo said your males are sizing each other up, might be a good time to pick which male you like more:thumbsup:
What I'm not sure of is if I have any females in the group....I been meaning to pickup some red top lawanda's. I can never seem to be able to find them in my go-to fish store when I have money to buy them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store