Humpback Puffer and Congo Puffer Compatibility

reticstingray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2013
Oakland Gardens, New York
I want to start a puffer only tank, having puffers range from sizes 6'' to 8'' and I thought Humpback and Congo fit the spot, but I am wondering if they would fight. If it any be doable can someone recommend a puffer that fit my expectations? Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
You are not going to find any puffers in that size range that can be mixed. If you have enough space, you could keep multiple Humpbacks in the same tank. No other puffers will tolerate their own species or others.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I agree with bottles. Puffers don't really like eachother and always fight. I've never seen humpbacks but dwarf puffers do well together. Other than that I would just go with a single puffer. One is personable enough

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Humpbacks aka palembang puffers have only been successfully mixed with T.Suvatti...

But yes, you will need a large enough tank for that many tankmates in order to avoid aggression...

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
I haven't heard any long term success stories. I have only heard of one person with that combo (3x T. Suvatti and 1x T. Palembangensis). He had them in a 150g if I recall correctly. He said that the Arrowheads were taking chunks out of eachother and the Humpback. He had them together for less than a year. It may work, but it's a pretty risky combo.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Any puffer combo definitely comes with risks theres no doubt about that, especially since they all have very unique personalities...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store