Water Change Emergency

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
Here's the deal, my betta is in desperate need of a water change. For the next week i havem no transportation to the nearest aquarium supply shop (70 miles) and I'm out of chlorine remover!

I have access to well water which my roomates koi and goldfish are thriving in without adding any chemicals to treat the water. Will my fish be ok with straight well water? I don't even have a test kit atm :/

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
+1

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Most well water has iron and such in it. Shouldn't effect your fish. Or, put some tap water into a bowl or a pitcher and in 24 hours the harmful stuff will be eliminated naturally.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Warmed rain water can also be used for water changes.
And before using tap water, call your water company and find out if they use chlorine, or chloramine as a disinfectant.
Chlorine will dissipate sitting on the counter after a day or 2, but chloramine will not.
Many companies use chloramine (NH2Cl(2)(3)) because it is a very stable compound that remains an effective disinfectant in large drinking water distribution system for a good length of time. When I worked at a water supplier we tested water treated with chloramine that sat for 2 weeks, and still had plenty of disinfection residual.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Well should be fine.

Also if you are sure you have chlorine (as opposed to chloramine) you can also degas the water to remove it. Sitting out overnight, preferably with a bubbler, will get rid of the chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
In regards to all the comments above; I've always been curious, I'm positive my tap water has chlorine and God knows what else but letting it sit 24 hours really makes it safe for our aquariums? Sounds kinda iffy..

And about the rainwater if i collect tubs, boil the water..would it be safe? I have the betta in well water now and she's been doing great btw ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store