Spray bar position

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I have a spry bar on my 220 tank, it's at the surface about an inch under water opposite side of overflow would I get better water exchange if I put it on the bottom of the tank pointing up? Or is it ok on top? To me it just seems like I'm filtering the same clean water because my overflow collects from the top and the water enters the tank at the top and it's warm water to boot so it sits on top or is there more circulation going on then I think

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Leave at the top pointed down. Add some powerheads at the bottom for circulation.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Leave it blowing across the top. Water tends to circulate well in a tank and surface agitation is king for oxygen exchange. If you're needing more flow lower in the tank, a powerhead would be a good idea. I'd put it on the opposite end of the spraybar, but on the bottom.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Bubblers annoy me, but if you're cool with them they work. If you're running a wet/dry and a large enough pump you'll likely not have oxygen level issues, but more agitation doesn't hurt. Added flow would also be useful to keep fish happy, or maneuver detrius out of sight/into the water collum for the filter to snag.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
So I have a spry bar on my 220 tank, it's at the surface about an inch under water opposite side of overflow would I get better water exchange if I put it on the bottom of the tank pointing up? Or is it ok on top? To me it just seems like I'm filtering the same clean water because my overflow collects from the top and the water enters the tank at the top and it's warm water to boot so it sits on top or is there more circulation going on then I think

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I suggest purchasing a powerhead.........PLacing out the bottom of the tank will circulate the debris better.....If you want more oyxgen in the tank, then place the spray bar right at the surface...........The water breakage at the surface allows more oxygen exchange to be in the water..............

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store