Setting up a 125 upper jaw tank.

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
Like it says I'm setting up a 125 only to house my upper jaws I have no intentions of purchasing any lower jaws since they will get to big. It's going to have an fx6 and ac110 as the filters on it. I'm just curious as to how many upper jaw polys I could keep in a tank setup like this comfortably. It's a standard 72x18 foot print. Thanks in advance fr any input

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
How many do you have right now? And what are they?

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
Currently have 11 or 12. 2 full size senegals, growing out 2 albino senegals, the senegal I thought was a palmas, 3 delhizi, then I have 2 teugelsi and 2 ornates that I'm growing out. I know that the ornates and teugelsis can potentially get as big as the lower jaws but it takes a little longer. I do have a 180 running I could put them into at my girlfriends house when tht outgrow my 125 every one is currently under right around 7 inches or less other than my two full grown senegals whih are in a desperate tank

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Maybe a palmas polli and a palmas palmas. That would round out the tank nice.

+1 you could probably add these guys. If you wanted to keep it really comfortable I'd stay with the stock you have now and add some top and middle swimmers

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
Maybe a palmas polli and a palmas palmas. That would round out the tank nice.

+1 you could probably add these guys. If you wanted to keep it really comfortable I'd stay with the stock you have now and add some top and middle swimmers
thanks for your opinions. that's what I wanted to hear since I would really like to add one of the palmas complex to my current stock and then id be content. well atleast for now anyway

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
You could fit quite a few upper jaws in there (10-15) however stay away from weeksii and ornate as they can reach 20+"

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
You could fit quite a few upper jaws in there (10-15) however stay away from weeksii and ornate as they can reach 20+"
I will stay away from weeksii, but I already have 2 ornates that I'm growing out. i do know that they will potentially outgrow the 125 but i have a 180 at my girlfriends I could put them in

FishMerch.com

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2014
California
If your doing upper jaw only, add a rope fish. The long body looks really cool next to the other polys. I have 12 upper jaw in my 180 60"x 30". I also have an assortment of top level swimmers. I'd get a rope fish and a palmas palmas. Good luck.

How about some pictures of this tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store