Denticle?

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
Noticed these cluster of bumps forming on my marble to make one big bump. I've researched different threads on here about what it could be, everyone on here describes these bumps as denticles. When I see pics of denticles they look nothing like what's forming on my marble. What's making me think they might be denticles forming is that the color of the bumps are matching her pattern and on the other side of her disc in almost the same exact spot another cluster has started. Here is the best pic as of now I could get. I may be overreacting on this but just trying to figure out what some of the expience keepers may think this is. There was an older post with a hystrix having the same bumps

Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1397398698351.jpg

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Doesn't look like denticles.

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
It looks like a wart. But when u look at it closer its about 5 little bumps clustered together, it almost reminds me of a poison oak rash, like how in some spots there are a cluster of bubbles

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Denticles are just elasmobranch versions of scales that interlock to create a nice protective outter covering for sharks/rays.

If you have raised bumps forming, I'd keep an eye on it. Could be an irritation of some type starting to show up.

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
I just noticed it last night and there's another spot starting almost the same exact spot on the other side of her disc. The reason why I ask if they were denticles is because of the thread started by someone on here about there hystrix having something similar only response back that he got was denticles

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
If I remember, the picture he posted did show denticles. Your picture does not look like denticles. I have seen similar bumps on my rays. Not sure what causes them, but they often will disappear and pop up elsewhere else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store