Growth rate for Teugelsi?

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
I know a few of u have recently picked up some small ones...should i expect a growth rate similar to my weeksii (extremely slow) or my endlis (extremely fast.) I saw a few skinny 4 inchers at the LFS and i may go back and pick them up.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I have 2 CB and they both have grown moderately. The bigger one that I got about a year ago in about a month. Has grown about 3-4". I got it at about 4" so It's about 7-8". I got another one about a month ago and it has grown an inch since then. I got it at about 3" so It's about 4" now, however I haven't really measured in a couple of weeks only eyeballed sizes. He however had Bichir worms so I had to treat him and not feed a lot his first week. He is also in a grow out with some larger polys. The larger one is also in with about 20 more polys ranging from 4"-16". IMO if they were both separated they would probably grow a little faster, because they both have HUGE appetites especially the one in the big tank. He is one of the first and last ones eating. I also haven't measured him in a couple months, but have been able to use the size of other polys to estimate. If anything they are both probably bigger than what I am saying, but I don't take mine out to measure. I'd think that they'd be almost in the middle, not super slow and not super fast maybe leaning towards slower.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
thanks for the replies. i really dont want to add more fish right now...but its hard to pass up.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
The CBs are pretty cool to me for the most part. And usually have great patterns still nothing like a WC but I would get it if it doesn't put you over the top in terms of stock.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
Since i have a bunch of bichirs, my tank looks understocked :) my 240 has 3 ornates, 3 endlies and 3 laps. There is also a black ghost knife and a red tail giant gourami. I have 2 weeksii in a separate grow out that will go in the main tank when they get a little bigger. i dont think that sounds ovestocked, but the gourami is a poop machine.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
at some point i plan to sell off 1 ornate, 1 endli and 1 lap when i can determine which ones have the best patterns and r the biggest.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
When mine were like 2.5 inch I swear they grew an inch every 2-3 weeks. That's with perfect params, huge pothos sucking out nitrate and live blackworms and NLS pellet feedings. Since the ones your eyeing are already at 4 inch I'd expect an inch a month as others have said. You'll be happy with them, as no other bichir, with the exception of palma's palmas has such colorful patterns, CB or WC.

As far as cb vs WC with teugs goes, yes WCS are nicer but the cross river where these guys are from is under heavy danger from human progress. Namely illegal oil refineries that dump waste in the river. I wouldn't be surprised to hear these guys getting endangered in the wild. So IMHO until the whole river is a oily disaster I think the wilds should stay there.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
I got mine a year ago at 3" and now is ovet 9". He's in a pretty stocked tank and probably could've been feed more over the year

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store