Snails at my sump pump filter.....HELP

ahan801

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2013
Malaysia
I am using a over flow sump pump at the bottom of my aquarium. My sump pump got 3 compartment which is 1st compartment is sponge filter, 2nd is bio ring and 3rd is uv lights filter. Just now i notice snails at the sump pump filter. I already soaked all the filter(sponge and bio ring) with boiled water. Anythings else i can do to solve the problem and the snails wont come again. Thanks you in advance for all the advice.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Your best bet would be to use some zucchini or similar vegetables to trap them and remove them from the tank.

If you are also seeing the snails in the tank, they probably came in as hitchhikers on plants or decor. Removing any uneaten food in the tank should help to keep the population under control.

Boiling your filter media will definitely have a detrimental effect on your good bacteria so I would test your tank water frequently for elevated levels of ammonia and nitrite to avoid damage to your fish.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
There is no water parameter to avoid snails.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have had snails in filters before, sometimes to the point of stopping an impeller. I have found the excess number of snails to be my fault due to feeding too much. I have reduced the feeding amounts and no longer have a snail problem. I also skip feeding the fish one or two days each week. The reduced feeding has additional benefits beyond a reduction in snail population.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
IME once snails make their way into a tank they are nearly impossible to get rid of completely. You can do some things to reduce their population, but you will likely never rid you tank of them completely. Even copper sulfate rarely wipes them out but will do damage to everything else living including fish and bacteria.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How about trying some loaches?

ahan801

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2013
Malaysia
are there any medicine that can use to kill snails inside aquarium????

Don think will use the loaches as my tank is overstock...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store