EJBD

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
going to pick one up later next week and wanted to hear from some keepers. I know they are delicate but wanted to give it a shot it will be going in a 40 gal that is almost cycled. Should I purchase a uv steralizer ? If so can anyone recommend a good one with a built in pump ( currently have and ac110) what do you feed them ? And should I get two to increase my chances ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
going to pick one up later next week and wanted to hear from some keepers. I know they are delicate but wanted to give it a shot it will be going in a 40 gal that is almost cycled. Should I purchase a uv steralizer ? If so can anyone recommend a good one with a built in pump ( currently have and ac110) what do you feed them ? And should I get two to increase my chances ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
hey jaws! I've never kept them but I researched them a while back. I don't think you need a UV as long as the water is kept clean, ideally nitrates will be under 20 at the point you do your routine water changes. I'd just do one if you're also going to have the bb catfish and tiger barbs you planned on last I saw.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
pristine water and feed what you would any large cichlid. pristine water the key with these guys. some are quite hardy like a regular JD, other are not.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Good catch karl should have been EBJD... kids were harassing me while I was typing. I read that they were susceptive to parasites while small and that a uv sterilizer would help... have 0 experience with either so was just wondering

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
It really is luck of the draw genetically to I have had one over a year who has stopped growing at around 2.5". Always had clean water with nitrates under 10ppm and got fed NLS pellets. He is a genetic dud if I did get another it would have to be from a reputable breeder the next time around.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
how did you go about the feedings 1 small portion a day ? read that over feeding is a big no no slow digestion or something?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store