How To Breed Red Terrors?

Convict Cichlids

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2010
NEW YORK
I Currently Have 2 Red Terrors That Are About 5-6in Each. I Purchased Them A Weed Ago And Recently Got Them To Eat Feeders. The Wont Eat Anything Else. They Are Currently Divided In A 55g Due To The Aggression And Them Not Eating. The Male Is In Half By Himself And The Female Is On The Other Half With My Group Of Silver Dollars.
I Still Cannot Get Some Good Pics Because Most Of The Time They are Hiding In Their Flowerpots.
Should I Get Rid Of The Silver Dollars?
How Can I Get Them To Breed?

image (3).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

freshwaterfishpics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2014
New albany Ohio
first thing i would do is try to get them off of the feeders. Try some bloodworms, beef heart, and other frozens then slowly work your way to pellets. Just gotta let them do there thing. Do lots of water changes and warm the water up a little bit after each one.

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
Try frozen mysis shrimp or frozen krill... or just choose a good quality pellet and don't give in with the other stuff. They'll accept the pellets once they're hungry enough, went through the same thing with my jag. Went without food for a week on 2 separate occasions until he finally gave in and accepted pellets. Then I gave him pellets exclusively for a month or so and now I can give him frozen stuff on the weekends and then go back to pellets during the week with no problems. Just keep at it and don't give in... but as previously stated, get them off feeders asap.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TSmith47

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2013
Charlotte NC
Please for give me if I am posting this the wrong way, but my problem is I'm on my 3rd clutch with my red terrors, with no success, the first one made it to the " wiggler ' stage then they all died off, the second clutch didn't even hatch, well I now have a clutch from the same pair that hatched this morning. I had the male sectioned off with a divider cause all they did was fight but most of the time she had him refined to the corner of the tank( away from the eggs) . I was told on the first clutch that I should give them grined up food so I fed them tetramin flakes grined up. Not sure if I should keep the male away from the babies or leave the parents together.....let alone what to feed the babies, can someone help me out? Thanks

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Convict how bad do your terrors fight as some fighting is part of their mating ritual. To start I would lay your flower pots on there side at each end of the tank. You can leave the silver dollars in as dithers and remove the divider. Watch them close for a while and maybe put the divider in at night or when you can not watch them enough. They are going to have to get together to spawn and a larger tank may help with that. A lot of people like to use a 120 on larger cichlids. That's a 6 foot 120 not a 4x2x2.
TSmith I don't know why your terrors will not raise there young ours were super parents. Feeding your regular pellets should work for feeding them with fry. The parents seem to grind it up for the fry to eat. It doesn't sound like yours have gotten big enough to eat much food any way. At 4 or 5 days you could throw some good fry powder in when you feed the adults though. Your pair maybe just learning though so don't give up. Make sure you keep their water good and clean as terrors are a little fussy.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Having them together may give them that competition they need to eat. Also try laying the pots on there side facing where you feed so they see the food sooner. Terrors like to hide but from your picture I think they were maybe to hidden to know what was going on. If I were you though I would definitely get them a 6 foot tank. The extra room will get them to move around more and may make them hungrier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store