Basilisk ID

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
My gf got me this guy on Friday. All I know is that its a male basilisk but I would like to know what species if anyone knows. It's extremely brown right now but she said when she went to the person's house to get it, it was a dark green. After looking online, it doesn't appear to be the brown basilisk but 1 of the other 2 but it's really hard for me to tell since it's all brown right now. Anyone know? Also, how long will it take to turn green again? Thanks guys. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397429276.329974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
How can you tell? From the pics I've seen, they have stripes going from the head to halfway down its body and this 1 doesn't. Plus she told me that it was green at the guys house but turned this brown color when she was bringing it home

For starters, don't trust google images.

All lizards have the ability the alter their colors....be it from mood or temperature. These guys can lighten and darken their colors to a degree. Your male doesn't have a strong yellow line running from behind his eye to his back legs. Coloring can vary but that's just how some are. I'm also pretty familiar with this type of basilisk because this was the first species of this genus that I was able to get to reproduce. The male I had looked almost exactly like him.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
No prob. Another thing, these guys are now pretty common in southern Florida and many of the ones purchased in pet stores are wild caught from there.
Damn. What isn't in Florida now? Doesn't surprise me but my gf picked this guy up from someone else. I guess it was beating up on his females. You got any advice for me care wise? I did some research but not enough. She just surprised me with him and I had no clue that she was getting it for me

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
First off they're flighty lizards that are easily startled by quick movement. They're also not the biggest fans of being held and therefore are better to have as a display animal. But they will tame down over time (especially the males) once they realize you're not going to hurt them. Give them a large tank with plenty of vegetation to hide in. Vegetation on either ends of the tank is pretty important too since they are prone to running into the glass and damaging their snouts. They love to climb so have plenty of branches at least the width of the basilisk. And of course, they LOVE water. Make sure to provide a large water tub that's big enough for them to swim and lay in. They are prone to pooping in their water so clean it daily. Spay the enclosure twice a day to keep the humidity up. A misting system isn't a bad idea for them too. Food wise: insects make up a large majority of their diet but they will also take some veggies. Mine loved grated carrots, bananas, mangos and rose petals. Don't forget to dust the food with vitamins at least every other feeding. And because they are a diurnal species you'll want to have basking spots and UVB lighting.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
That's some great info! I'll have to put some fake plants on the sides of the cage cuz its nose is already pretty banged up from when the other guy had it. I've also seen a vid of 1 grabbing a bird midair, should incorporate rodents, chicks or fish in its diet as well?

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
That's some great info! I'll have to put some fake plants on the sides of the cage cuz its nose is already pretty banged up from when the other guy had it. I've also seen a vid of 1 grabbing a bird midair, should incorporate rodents, chicks or fish in its diet as well?

You can give him a pinky once or twice a month if you want to but it's not necessary. I gave my breeders pinkies as treats. I never had much luck giving them feeder fish which sucked because I always had a surplus fathead minnows in my pond. I never tried chicks but once one of my males ate a green anole that wasn't intended to be food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store