Port Jackson shark

SharkLover05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Coffs Harbour
I am a university student doing a study on Port Jackson sharks. Are there any fellow shark lovers out there that own a Port Jackson shark that wish to complete a quick survey for me? I want to learn all I can about these amazing creatures, any help will be great!

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
What do you want to know?

I think the OP wants someone with shark experience. Like possibly someone who has been on a national...

Oh hey zoodiver, didn't notice the new avatar!

SharkLover05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Coffs Harbour
Well I am looking into there feeding behaviour. So for my survey I will be asking about what the are fed/how often and their behaviours associated. But if you have any information at all about their behaviours or where to get reliable information - that will be greatly appreciated to :)

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
What temps are you keeping yours at?
What age/size are they?
Are they long term captives?

From my experience, those are the three biggest factors in feeding behavior of these animals.
Mine were fed a mix of shrimp, squid, capelin, silver sides, herring and mackerel. We did seasonal temp changes on the display, changing from low 60F to upper 60F. With warmer waters they were fed five times a week. In cooler water only three. They weren't full size adults yet - still less than a meter long.
They were kept is a shallow cylinder display that allowed plenty of swimming room. In talking with people who kept them in smaller displays, they seemed to have a lower metabolism at the same temp and animal size.
Mine were also kept with a few other similar sized cold water sharks and some various dither fish to keep the display active.

I think the OP wants someone with shark experience. Like possibly someone who has been on a national...

Oh hey zoodiver, didn't notice the new avatar!
Hahahaha. Sig worthy!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep and I would like to have been able to get some urchin for my PJ when I had it.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Mine never touched the urchins in the tank. I would assume it's because they had a steady supply of food from us. All were conditioned to be target fed, so we could keep track of vitamin supplements being given (Mazuri Shark/Ray Tabs).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store