Ich

Jhoss1511

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2012
Morgantown West Virginia
I have a discus tank, been set up for over a year, just noticed a few of my tetras have ich, no other fish seem to be affected, however I know how this can spread! (And I don't want my discus getting this!) my water pram are 0 0 0 have live plants. My questions are 1. I thought ich could not survive in 84 degree temp. ( obviously I'm wrong) so how do I naturally treat this?
2. If I can't naturally treat this what meds out there r safe for my discus? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
ok, first off nitrate should never be 0, sure you shaking test bottle #2 hard for a good minute before adding to the test water vile? to get rid of ICK you need to be running tank at 86 or higher, not 84.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and a FYI no amount of plants in a home aquarium going to take care of nitrates for you. there is no silver bullet for this, me and 2.5 million others wish there was. water changes only way to feasibly remove it.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Raise the temp to 86-88. 84F won't quite do it.

It's not a bad idea to vacuum the bottom first as some cysts will likely be there. Give the temp at least 3-4 days past your last sighting, but at least 7 days total to be sure.

Add aeration, reduce food a tad, skip water changes after the vacuum until the treatment is done. Naturally if you see distress (rapid gil movement, hanging at the surface,) the fish may not care for the temps.

Make sure it's ich (can see spots plus you have very recently introduced live fish, new plants, foreign tank water or all 3) as some symptoms are from other issues.

Jhoss1511

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2012
Morgantown West Virginia
Thanks all, the 3 fish with ich made it, I raised temp and that seemed to do the trick! So far all fish seem happy and healthy! As far as nitrite I'm sure there is some ppm...however it isn't enough to make the color change with the test kit. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store