Caquetaia: Big and Beautiful ... and Not Umbies!!!

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
When I'm asked if I keep Caquetaia, and I say "Yes", the next question is "Are they Umbies"? I say "no". It's not that I don't admire the beasts. In fact, I kept the Rio Magdalena strain about thirty years ago. But in more recent times, even with the magnificent Gorillus now on the scene, I've resisted going with them again because a) they are very big fish that require very big tanks and b) since there are many other species that I would like to experience, I need the tank space. I know, umbie keepers ... totally evil :D thoughts. But I do keep the other three members of this genus ... and they are at least equally impressive. Here is a pic of each of them, in no particular order of preference. Love 'em all!

spec1.jpg

MVI_7336.jpg

MVI_0006-007.jpg

Reactions: mrrobxc

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Love them.all Jim!! With warmer weather kicking in any fry I will be glad to get them shipped my way :)

Always love seeing your collection

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Funny thing, I absolutely love all caquetia species EXCEPT umbees. My opinion is that C. Myersi are the SA version of a Datnoid. Love them. Myersi that is, not Dats.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Very interesting how aggressive are they?
For SA cichlids, the kraussi and spectabilis can be pretty tough on conspecifics, can generally take care of themselves and when paired they are a force to contend with. But single specimens tend to get pushed around even at a foot in length. Myersi are rather fragile and can be easily spooked.

Nice! loving that myersi.
Love them.all Jim!! With warmer weather kicking in any fry I will be glad to get them shipped my way :)

Always love seeing your collection
Thanks fellows.

Those are all great looking. Do you have a personal favorite?
No, they're all great 'in my books'. But the myersi is more of a challenge so I might just favor it a little right now.

Funny thing, I absolutely love all caquetia species EXCEPT umbees. My opinion is that C. Myersi are the SA version of a Datnoid. Love them. Myersi that is, not Dats.
I feel the same way with umbees ... I think???

Beautiful
Thanks.

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Lovely Caquetaia's! That myersi is stunning!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store