Can A Parrot Be Left Outside?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone, Finally feeling good weather here in new york. Today I brought out my 5 year old yellow nape amazon out into our patio (with its cage) which is enclosed by windows a wooden roof. Had her out since 12:00 in the afternoon and just brought her in 20 minutes ago. I was thinking would it be safe for her to stay out on the patio throughout spring-summer than? Or is it a bad idea...predators won't come in since everything is enclosed and wind won't come in since there are no screens. Im just nervous on letting her stay out at night just in general even tho she fell asleep when I brought her inside.

Thanks

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
I knew a breeder of different birds that house and breed African Greys outside. He said as long as there is no drift and rain on them they are ok. This person is in the west coast in the San Francisco Bay Area.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
If there is no breeze and no rain I would say its fine. Make sure nobody can get in, people steal parrots. Sad but it happens.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
as said. Assuming you put the Nape out when the good weather starts, you can keep it out most of the year.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
and wind is no problem.

A problem for parrots are drafts.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
my neighbor leaves his 3 african greys outside in nice weather from april to october and brings them in at night or when its rainy out or windy. they need natural light for their well being. truthfully i would never keep a parrot unless i let it fly and had it trained and worked with. his 3 parrots sit in 3 seperate cages that are probably suited better for conures. smh...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store