haitiensis (black nasty) deformed?

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
just wanted to get some input if my black nasty is a little morphed? it almost looks as if his bottom lip is missing, any suggestions?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Does look a.little odd? Maybe it just looks like it does cause its small. Looks to be a female though.

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
Does look a.little odd? Maybe it just looks like it does cause its small. Looks to be a female though.
the other two that i have look normal, this is the most dominant one, has a pointy vent sticking out thats pointed to teh back, thats the only reason id go with male but then again these are my first black nasties

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Little hard to tell from those pics but I found that femals paired fins and tail will be complety clear while males will have a black edge to them.

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
Little hard to tell from those pics but I found that femals paired fins and tail will be complety clear while males will have a black edge to them.
havn't heard that before but good to know, just hope its lower lip isnt missing lol. i have two others and hopefully one is a male.
what size do you think they could be accurately sexed?

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Well, when my midevil reached 3-4in he developed long 'trailers', and a hump on his head. hope it helps. ps. your nasty could be missing part of its bottom jaw from fighting for food while young, as long as its active and eating well I wouldn't worry about it.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Does look odd to me. Definitely not a normal one. And can't tell sex on this one. No sure dorsal blotch or any certain color difference in fins to be sure

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
Does look odd to me. Definitely not a normal one. And can't tell sex on this one. No sure dorsal blotch or any certain color difference in fins to be sure

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
ye i'll wait a couple more inches until trying to sex them but there definantly is something going on with the bottom lip. Noticed it since day one but wanted it to grow a bit more to see if it would last

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store