thinking of transforming my 75 gallon tank

holnboy1969

Feeder Fish
Apr 13, 2014
Batesville Arkansas
i am thinking hard about transforming my 75 gallon tank into a live plant tank. what would be the best plants to put in it . the tank has silver dollars, bala sharks and angle fish in it would really hate to put plants in it that could harm my fish so thought before i plant it up might find out the plants i need

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
No plants will harm you fish but you will have to move the silver dollars most likely. They will outgrow a 75 anyways but they are known to destroy plants. As far as what plants would be best we need more info on your setup and what your plans are. Need to know about lighting and substrate as well as your goal before making any recommendations.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Agreed with moving the Silver Dollars because they are notorious for eating plants... But we'll need to know more about your plans, such as are you wanting a low tech tank or high tech, this will help to determine what plants the lighting will be able to grow; For instance a low tech setup can't grow baby tears, but can grow anubias, java ferns, and other low light plants. What about substrate; Again the type of tank you want to set up will determine what substrates will be better than others.

For instance lets use my tank...

45 gallon long (48"x12"x19") high tech setup with the following
Lighting - 48" Odyssea T5HO Quad 4x54w
Heating - 300w Hydor Theo submersible heater
Substrate - 20lbs SeaChem Flourite mixed with 15lbs of FloraMax, and 9 liters of ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia
Co2 - DIY co2 system using yeast but will be replaced with Co2 Injection system
Fertilizer - EI dosing regime with osmocote plus root tabs

So because I'm going with high lighting I can grow pretty much anything I desire.... So a lot will depend on what type of tank your wanting.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Pics of current setup too please :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store