Stocking Advice

Timmy_85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Australia
Hi,

I've recently purchased a new 5ft x2ft x 2ft aquarium and need an expert opinion (or two) when it comes to stocking. I would like to try a community consisting of a Red Devil, a Jaguar and a pair of Super Green Texas or Jack Dempseys. What are your thoughts? I know these are quite aggressive and territorial fish but if raised from juveniles together, is it possible? I'm open to ideas! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tim.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
In a 5 foot tank housing those fish will be difficult the Texas pair could claim the whole tank and the red devil or jag could very well just claim the whole tank. A single female jag, a Dempsey pair, and maybe a female Texas could work maybe. Or you could do a pair and have some smaller aggressive cichlids such as salvini, cons, or a large peaceful vieja

Sent from my VS840 4G

Timmy_85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Australia
Could the Jaguar be replaced with a RD or is it not that simple? The last thing I want to do is start world war three.

Thanks Crazy Mike.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
If you mean have two rd, no. That could lead to a pair and they will claim the tank

Sent from my VS840 4G

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Nah just a single Rd, a JD pair and a female Texas.

Thanks again mate.
Providing the rd doesn't pair with the red devil it has a chance to work. Although the dempseys could cause issues when they have fry and in general but ime experience Dempsey pair aggression isn't that bad

Sent from my VS840 4G

Big Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary
It's a crapshoot. Out of all the fish mentioned I'm most leery of the Texas. Never had one that wasn't a jerk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store