Where do i get pirrhana

Status
Not open for further replies.

samrowe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Essex
There are lots of online stores with cheap delivery such as CHEAPFISH and LiveAquatics. I am not sure on quality of stock though.
They need a BIG tank too, minimum is said to be 75 gallon but I wouldn't recommend keeping them in anything smaller than a 125 gallon. Subdued lighting is preferred as they are skittish fish and if this is a problem you may get away with a load of floating plants. pH below 7 and as obvious a species only tank, you could try with a pleco but personally I wouldn't try it. Bear in mind that they will reach a foot long but this will take several years so they can be grown out in a smaller tank. Good luck

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
There are many states (LIKE MINE. FLORIDA) where they are flat out illegal to own and other states where they are difficult to purchase. I had some when I lived in South Carolina years ago. (They are no longer available there, either) And I found them to be rather BORING and heavy in the waste department. You might want to read up on them first and see if they're right for you.

bluejay8984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2011
Omaha
I had 13 Piranhas in a 125 Gallon and they were fantastic to have. They are messy and as they grow they eat, eat, eat but I loved having them. When I changed the rock coloring in my tank the color of my piranhas darkened and was truly cool. I ended up donating everything to the high school I teach at due to a lack of time on my hands for uptake with my other tanks but I still love seeing the set up now run by students.

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
There's many breeds of piranha. not just redbellies.
red bellies are the most available and easiest to care for.
the rule for redbellies is generally 20gallons per fish.

i have 8 and they're very active and fun to have.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Ya i looked into them more and decided not to get because i really dislike species tank( had figure 8 puffers and hated the boring tank)
Once they're big enough you can add small fish like Endlers or Otocinclus. You can have spotted Raphael catfish, shrimp, crabs. No need for a permanent species tank. Just while they grow out.

Having said that, they're illegal in Colorado!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store