Ompok Bimaculatus.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I just found some pictures of this catfish, and it looks very interesting, so i have some questions.
I see that this catfish is related to the wels catfish, so does it develop the same dark color?
I read trough the Planetcatfish profile, and Seriuoslyfish, and the pictures where very different, have Seriouslyfish posted the wrong pictures?
I know that one of the Ompok catfish species, are also known as "Gulper Catfish" is it this one?
Does anyone have some personal expirience with these guys? If so, how big did they get? How active are they? How aggressive are they?
If someone can post pictures of there fullygrown Ompok Bimiculatus, it would be very appreciated.

Picture is from Seriouslyfish.

OmpokCatfish.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see that this catfish is related to the wels catfish, so does it develop the same dark color?
***Color varies. There is some confusion with the ID of Ompoks, so to err on a safe side IDK how dark O. bimaculatus gets.

I read trough the Planetcatfish profile, and Seriuoslyfish, and the pictures where very different, have Seriouslyfish posted the wrong pictures?
*** Balaji is an expert (see below). You can ask him. I have not checked but if what you say is true, it is probably ID woes.

I know that one of the Ompok catfish species, are also known as "Gulper Catfish" is it this one?
*** AFAIK, they are all called gulper catfish. It's a common name for this genus.

Does anyone have some personal expirience with these guys? If so, how big did they get? How active are they? How aggressive are they?
*** See below.

##########################################################

There have been several good threads in the last 1-2 years on Ompoks. If you search this forum, you will find them.

My standard answer is that it appears bimaculatus does not enter the trade, according to our in-house Indian catfish aficionado and expert Shovelnose (Balaji on PCF) anyway. The shipping occurs from central-northern India, where there is plenty of the very similar O. siluroides. No sense in getting more expensive bimaculatus from south India.

I've had siluroides and padba.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39081&hilit=+siluroides

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30937&hilit=+siluroides

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30936&hilit=+ompok

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36636&hilit=+siluroides

Ompok.jpg

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Thanks, really like the pictures from 2012, in the second link.
I think the reason i was confused with the pictures was because PlanetCatfishes pitures were of juviniles, and they hard very different headshape, atleast it appeared that way.
It was probaly stated in the PlanetCatfish thread, but "Silurus" (The guy that id'ed it) posted a link to a planetcatfish profile (I think) and it does not work anymore so, may i ask if the one from the second thread, where the picture you also posted here, is Pabda, or Siluroides?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey, Karl, if you read the old link, it says Ompok siluroides, :) twice :)

My only pabda is in the first link. I had three siluroides, two normal colored and one amelanistic.

"Silurus" is Dr. Heok Hee Ng, one of the world's leading catfish taxonomists and the leading taxonomist on Asian catfishes, IMHO. Anyone who reads sci papers knows this name :)

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Hey, Karl, if you read the old link, it says Ompok siluroides, :) twice :)

My only pabda is in the first link. I had three siluroides, two normal colored and one amelanistic.

"Silurus" is Dr. Heok Hee Ng, one of the world's leading catfish taxonomists and the leading taxonomist on Asian catfishes, IMHO. Anyone who reads sci papers knows this name :)
Sorry, maybe i missed it, i just saw the id as a link, and i assumed that it was to a catfish profile, but it didnt work anymore.
I see that there went 2years, and a couple of months between you seeing one of your Ompok's, so im assuming the hide alot, but then again then again if they where in your big pond, and their small, i doubt you see them as much :D

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Right. IDK what happened to the link. It leads to the genus, not species anymore.

Exactly. I could not see the normal colored ones in a dark 1500 gal pond, only the white one. They are markedly nocturnal in a natural pond. In a dim tank, however, I saw them rather often.

Last time I pumped the pond down, I did not find him, so now, I am sadly Ompokless. Pretty sure my smaller jau 1.5'-2' had eaten him and a couple of others before I corrected the situation.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Right. IDK what happened to the link. It leads to the genus, not species anymore.

Exactly. I could not see the normal colored ones in a dark 1500 gal pond, only the white one. They are markedly nocturnal in a natural pond. In a dim tank, however, I saw them rather often.

Last time I pumped the pond down, I did not find him, so now, I am sadly Ompokless. Pretty sure my smaller jau 1.5'-2' had eaten him and a couple of others before I corrected the situation.
Arh, that dosnt sound good, do know how big they got?

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store