HELP - sun spot cat upside down at bottom of tank

Adam Bunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2012
I have a 10 inch sun spot cat that is upside down at the bottom of the tank. he was like that yesterday, took him out and put him in a medication tank last night and is still like this. he is breathing, albeit slowly. sometimes if I right him, he'll slowly swim around for a few minutes but then is back at the bottom upside down. any ideas on what if anything I can do to help??

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Adam Bunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2012
tank has bee running for 2 years. all levels are completely normal, just tested to be sure. not brackish water. 210 gallons, 45 gallon sump

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I'd say maybe a water change, I do 50% weekly on both my tanks whether they're over or under stocked and nitrate is never past 10 ppm in my 75 for doing so. Just try to keep nitrate under 20 and make sure nobody is picking on him, hope he recovers bro!

Adam Bunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2012
it's now been 48 hours and he still alive. Seems to be breathing normally, but still upside down. I get the feeling his swim bladder is compromised, and that there is little I can do for him, because everyone else in the tnk is fine, and he seems healthy otherawise.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What are your water parameters in ppm and with what kit do you measure them and is the kit still good?

Is the tank under/overstocked?

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Oxygenate the tank with a power head if you have one...sometimes helps when all else fails. And a water change wouldn't hurt...been 2 weeks since last, right? Good luck

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good idea. Can simply be deprived of oxygen.

OP: can you describe the aeration in the tank?

Adam Bunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2012
The tank he came out of has a powerhead on one end and two sets of returns from the pump, both with 900GPH pumps. I'm not sure how powerful the powerhead is without digging up the box, which I can do when I get home. The tank he is in now (isolation tank) does not have any flow, just an HOB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store