how much temperature increase can a pond cover give?

jonny5

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
california
so I was looking for a cheap aka electrical free way of keeping the chill of my upcoming pond in the winter, it will help certain subtropical fish stay healther.
In my area the dead of winter water will be in 46-50F range for about 2 months, maybe low to 40's for a week or two.

it seems a simple solution is buy some of those floating solar (radiant heat) pads or do your own with some form of clear insulation.

How much heat can be expected from this set up in winter in southern califonia.. 1 degree increase? 5 degree increase?

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
You might be better off building a temporary greenhouse out of clear plastic and pvc piping to help keep the pond water warm in winter.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
The floating solar pads won't do much...tried them.

I just cover my pond with solar greenhouse film over pvc frames...

8265812506_1e7413ea70.jpg

If you have plenty of sunny weather during the winter I think you can expect at least a 10 degree increase from covering it, probably more.

8265812506_1e7413ea70.jpg

jonny5

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
california
ah ok that sounds simple enough, not costly and if I could get 10 degrees out of it then my stock will certainly have no issues overwintering. ty

jonny5

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
california
Some people use the clear solar pool covers instead of the greenhouse film. It's cheaper than greenhouse film and they say it works just as well.

http://www.solarcovers.com/shop/solar-covers

Just don't float it directly on the water like you would with a pool.
ah ic looks good. And your advice to not put it directly on the pond, I assume this is so there is still gas exchange for the fish to breath. Or does it give less effect that way? pool cover directly over the water and then pool cover slightly elevated covering the water should give the same effect no?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store