are there any turtles compatable with red eared sliders?

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
Red Ears tend to mix well with most basking type turtles, other sliders, cooters, chicken turtles, maps, etc. They do need a ton of room (150 gallons plus) though if you plan on housing more than one or two together.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Yellow bellies and Yellow ears will both do well with RES they get along just like another RES will even cross breed, but i would have to disagree with the others.

I would recommend sticking to other Trachemys species only when mixing. I've kept RES for over 20 years as well as many other pond/slider/mud/musk/wood and aquatic turtles. in my experience other slider/pond species tend to be much more docile and as a result they get out competed for food they end up stressed out and harassed by the more aggressive RES.

I have mixed them myself, and it will work temporarily as juveniles, but as they mature the RES end up needing to be separated to live only with there own kind and other Trachemys.

Hope that helps!

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
Yellow bellies and Yellow ears will both do well with RES they get along just like another RES will even cross breed, but i would have to disagree with the others.

I would recommend sticking to other Trachemys species only when mixing. I've kept RES for over 20 years as well as many other pond/slider/mud/musk/wood and aquatic turtles. in my experience other slider/pond species tend to be much more docile and as a result they get out competed for food they end up stressed out and harassed by the more aggressive RES.

I have mixed them myself, and it will work temporarily as juveniles, but as they mature the RES end up needing to be separated to live only with there own kind and other Trachemys.

Hope that helps!
thanks for the info. but was wondering were would I be abl to find yellow eared sliders?

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
My adult male RES lives quite peacefully with an adult male painted and an adult female african mud turtle. Just make sure everyone gets their fare share of food and watch for nipping and fighting.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
thanks for the info. but was wondering were would I be abl to find yellow eared sliders?

They are also called Cumberland sliders if that helps.

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
Many aquatic turtles require the same care as a RES. Their is no "yellow ear slider" and Cumberland are just another subspecies. The RES is a subspecies of the yellow bellied slider. They all mix and breed with each other and with Cooters. Turtles don't automatically need 100 gallons of water, but they also don't care to have "friends". Every other turtle is competition for food. That being said, I have mixed many types over the years. Many that are not even closely related. Mixing even with close cousins hasn't always been great. Once they start to nip, it doesn't stop. Depending on tank size, I'd say get a mud type. My 3-striped is sweet. They stay small, and eat great. Mine is about 2 years old and 3". He lives with my 5 year old twist-necked. This mix would be frowned upon by purists, but both actually live great together in my 50 gallon breeder and over 8" of water. Just add items that reach the surface so they don't have to swim hard to reach the top. At this point, neither of mine even use these items to crawl to the surface. They swim up, down, and all around just fine. No frantic "paddling". The only time I've seen a problem with aggression was when I gave blood worms. They love that treat so much that the mud took a bite at the twists leg. No damage done and the twistnecked didn't even panic. It's all hit or miss. Just be prepared to separate any cohabitants if need be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store