Who would win?

2songbirds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
PA
Or could they possibly cohabitate: 20/22" RTC and a 10/12" bulky male Flowerhorn (FH)?? I've asked my hubby several times over the years...he has one guess, I've the other. If they were equally aggressive (and fast enough) could they cohabitate? My old female FH and 29" achara cat did live together for awhile (there's pics on here somewhere), but the achara protected his adopted "children" from the bounty set on them (pictus cats)

Anyone with similar experiences?

wyowyome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Gillette
RTC ): Watched one on you tube video swallowing a large pbass whole. Ouch. Not really a battle- more of a quick gulp and a few swallows.... Expensive lesson

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
The Red- tail would win after the Flowerhorn tears the cats fins off and bloodies his nose. It would NOT be pretty. The Flowerhorn is no Pussycat, but the cats jaws and mouth matched with the body strength would win out. I'd imagine that the Flowerhorn would start the fight.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
RTC ): Watched one on you tube video swallowing a large pbass whole. Ouch. Not really a battle- more of a quick gulp and a few swallows.... Expensive lesson
The flowerhorn will wind up as an expensive feeder with a weird name.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
It all depends on how well fed the cat is I had a 12" red tail living with cichlids the smallest was around 3" when it first went in. And never lost it grew to be a healthy 10" fish before I sold both.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I would guess in a large tank that they would be fine together, however as others mentioned it could end badly. The rtc is no where near done growing and even if it works for the time being, eventually the flowerhorn will be a small to medium sized feeder....

2songbirds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
PA
My guess is the FH would win as he's a mean, mean fish. The RTC hunts at night (thus by himself), but the cat has only suction power at large whereas the FH as red knawing teeth. As for feeding, the rtc is never satisfied, always looking and trying for that next meal, but the FH is out to destroy, not eat. I am soooo tempted to try...Like I said, hubby thinks RTC will eat my pretty baby boy; I think the FH will tear apart the RTC (rtc not fast enough)

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
No matter the size of the tank, it's been my experience that a Flowerhorn will not tolerate an "intruder". I've had them attack HUGE plecos, larger cichlids and even heaters and filter tubes. They are just nasty. Even the peaceful type, like my 10" gold pearl become nuts if a mirror is placed near them. Some have gone after my dog walking past. One killed himself slamming into the glass while trying to attack my wife! I had a tiny, unknown cichlid (turned out to be a flowerhorn) given to me by a pet store because it had killed it's seven tank mates that were all three times his size. The red tail is smart and powerful. I think that a much smaller Flowerhorn would indeed attack him, but eventually be destroyed. I hope that no one actually tries this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store