Juvenile sexing?

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
So with the help of a friend (my 6 year tried so hard to hold the flashlight steady, but it was a little beyond him) I got all my juveniles that were stuck behind my background netted.
I'm temporarily keeping them in my 40 breeder just to kind of see how they color up, them most of them will go to the LFS.
They're hybrids so I don't plan on keeping but maybe one or two if they start looking cool, and only males at that...

How do I sex them at a small size? Spots on the lower (anal?) fin? Don't only males get those? Right now they all look alike except for one albino/gold colored one...

Going by shape, they're peacocks or Haps (can peacocks and Haps cross?) Mostly brownish with bars.

Can try for some pics tomorrow if that would help anything.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
Peacocks, Haps and mbunas can all cross breed. Egg spots on the anal fin are not definite but it's in the right direction, females will also have a more round anal fin compared to a more pointy one in males. When they get larger you can catch them in a net and flip them over, you'll spot two holes(self explanatory) anyways if they're the same size it's probably a male, if one is significantly larger than the other (for laying eggs) then it's probably a female.

best of luck!

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Well I've moved the largest one into my 75 gallon cichlid tank? Pretty sure it's a male and he's big enough to do ok. Still have two small ones on my 40 (the other went to the LFS). One is still there because I can't seem to net him (pretty sure it's a him) and the other is a white/albino I really want to see how it colors up or if it changes any.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store