The Importance of Tank Height?

samrowe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Essex
Hello,

This is now my second post on this forum and I prefer the feedback on here compared to PFK.
I wanted to know how important tank height was for a jardini/pearl arowana. I have a 200 x 50 x 70 cm tank and the width of the tank isn't enough. If I replaced this tank with around 2.5-3 feet in width but took the height down to around 40cm would this be a problem. Reason being is that my floorboards will not withstand the weight if I had much more height than 40cm. Also; how would 40cm in tank height be for a ray, it is unlikely that I would get one but just a thought.

Thanks, Sam

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
40cm is 15in. 15 inches seems pretty short to me. Very short. So short I think it'd look odd, especially if it was 3 feet wide. I think height is very important, but only to a point. For FW tanks, with sa/ca species, like we mostly do here, I think having some height lets you keep bottom dwellers without bigger mid-to-top dwellers being right on top of them. It gives fish room to get around. My tank is 23 inches tall, and I think that the fish could really use another few inches of height. But not too much. If the tank was 48 inches tall, it'd be MUCH harder to clean, vacuum, maintain. I"ve heard around here that 30 inches is about as tall as you wanna go and still be practical.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
What type of stand do you have? There should be a way of distributing the weight load better, more evenly. Maybe set-up in a place on your floor where there are multiple beams underneath or make a solid platform.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store