jaguar cichlid health concerns

abiancaniello

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
New Jersey
Hey everyone
I recently was given a 12 inch jag cichlid.
He is in a 125 all alone for about 2 days now.
He isnt really eating much.
He chased a goldfish but put in a half ass effort
He eats the cichlid sticks i offer but he doesnt ingest it all and sometimes spits it all out
I threw a couple silversides in there they r juat drifting on the bottom.
Could it be he is sick? Parasite?
Or does he just need some time to get used to his new home?
Only visible issues are his side fins they arent torn up but they open n move like an accordian if that makes any sense lol. They look brittle and unhealthy. Everything else visibly seems okay

Any opinions, advice or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated

abiancaniello

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
New Jersey
I got him for free he does or did have hole in head at one point could that be lingering? Ill def keep lights dimmed he doesnt really act sick lol

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
He's stressed for sure. What are your tank parameters? When you say he was given to you did you already have an established tank or are you starting with a new set up?
For sure keep the lights dim. You could also pick up Melafix. It helps with damaged fins and open wounds. If your tank is unstable you can also use Stability. Both can be used together. It will take time for him to want to eat but be sure to offer a little daily.
Good luck

abiancaniello

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
New Jersey
Its a new set up but its been cycling for weeks had some danios in it for a couple weeks to help cycle. All lecels r good. This fish came to me sick i think. There is a hole in his head but i dont kno if its a scar from the disease or if the disease is still there. Should i treat for hole in the head to be sure?

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
I would give him a few days to acclimate, then if he doesn't start taking food, I'd get him into a quarantine tank and dose with aquarium salt and metro with water changes every 24 hrs.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store