Rethinking my 75

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Background: Well about every one who's seen my previous threads for stocking my 75 gallon is probably thinking "oh great!!! This again.". Well I'll try to keep this to one thread this time :). Anyway in my 75 gallon I currently have 2 cutteri cichlids (breeded pair), 6 giant danios, 1 striped raphael catfish, and 1 gibbiceps pleco (L165). Well to be honest the tank was almost perfect for the last 2 weeks. Then my cutteri decided to spawn quicker than I anticipated so I've got some PO'd parents roaming the tank with there fry that attack anything within a square foot of them. Now the GDs aren't a problem since they are to fast and are top level but whenever they decided "hey let's take out fry for a walk over to the caves where the catfish hide" is when a problem arose. At first they acted like they were going to charge my raph but then stopped about half an inch from impact. They did this a bunch of times and being the bada$$ my raph his he didn't even flinch which I think made the cichlids feel like he was maybe less of a threat. Well yeah eventually the female cutteri broke and bit him right in the skull. The raph just turned around but then the male cutteri started biting his tail. I couldn't stand to see one of my favorite fish being attacked whether he's armored or not so I stood some slate-like rocks up in front of the right opening to his cave. This worked and they never attacked the raph after but when they moved the fry to the back right corner they encountered my pleco, he was just chillin out sucking algae as usual but they instigated a fight. Eventually my pleco ran to his cave (right next to the raph's) to hide but they just came in the left exposed side. At this point I have slates covering both sides, the cats can still get in and out but the cichlids won't be able to see them from afar. I also know that cutteri are fairly common and known for breeding like cons so the fry won't really be worth much. It's good practice right now for when I move into for valuable breeding cichlids but honestly I think I'm either going to sell or trade the parents to someone who has a use for 100 fry every 2 weeks and can give them a tank all to themselves.

Ok so after all that rambling we are moving into what this thread is about. When I get rid of the cichlids I definitely want another few fish to take their place. I'm still open to breeding (anything, not just cichlids) but the parents would have to be pretty peaceful and the fry would have to be ok in the main tank until I can sell/get rid of them. Also my pleco doesn't ever eat eggs and my raph hasn't touched a fry yet so my catfish won't be a problem. Now if I'm not breeding then I'm thinking I want to go for more of a semi-aggressive Community. Now that I've had experience with coms and cichlids I can safely say I like the more outgoing community fish (angels, gouramis, etc) more than skittish south or Central Americans (Archocentrus and related genera). So I was thinking maybe like a few angels, maybe some gouramis, rams or kribs possibly, and obviously more catfish! If you know me you know there's always room for more catfish :). There's a really nice looking black lancer catfish at my LFS that I was tempted to buy yesterday but thankfully I resisted. So it's really still up for grabs what I'll be doing, feel free to suggest ANY fish you want as long as they'll be good in the tank for life and aren't skittish (neon tetras, hatchets, rasboras and the like....not interested). And don't get me wrong, cichlids are definitely still an option but I'd prefer to do ones more along the peaceful SA (not CA) lines, geophagus for example get a thumb up from me, so do severums, and festivums. So maybe we could work out a combination of community fish and peaceful SA cichlids. Whatever the final stock is it has to include my raphael catfish and pleco. Preferably the danios to but they aren't as important to me as my catfish are.

thanks for once again helping me figure this out guys!

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
you can do almost any med sized cichlids (that aren't breeding )in that setup ..stay away from amphs and other real aggressive types ... a nice group of med size geos would be perfect for a 75...something like 4-5 fish....you could find a couple of cats and do that with about 4 angels ,too

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
you can do almost any med sized cichlids (that aren't breeding )in that setup ..stay away from amphs and other real aggressive types ... a nice group of med size geos would be perfect for a 75...something like 4-5 fish....you could find a couple of cats and do that with about 4 angels ,too
You mean I can do 2 more catfish in addition to the ones I have, YAY! I don't suppose I could do 2 more cats plus a group of geos, probably to many bottom dwellers I'm guessing. 4 Angels would look good, as long as they don't take it upon themselves to start breeding on their own.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
You mean I can do 2 more catfish in addition to the ones I have, YAY! I don't suppose I could do 2 more cats plus a group of geos, probably to many bottom dwellers I'm guessing. 4 Angels would look good, as long as they don't take it upon themselves to start breeding on their own.
They might, you can't stop cichlids from breeding. And the bottom would be fairly crowded with that stock.

Sent from my VS840 4G

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
They might, you can't stop cichlids from breeding. And the bottom would be fairly crowded with that stock.

Sent from my VS840 4G
Well as long as they aren't going to get insanely aggressive and breed every two weeks like 2 certain fish I have now :))) I'm fine with that. I'm sure this will take a bit to get answered since I'm going to need a bagrid expert for this but if I added my asian bumblebee catfish from my 30 plus a black lancer catfish would they bully each other to death or would they more than likely get along?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
yes, angels and cats...OR geo's:) with the cutteri's gone a group of(small) geo's ,imo ,would be ok......angels(4 or so , no more) and a couple more low aggression SMALL cats would be ok too...geo's aren't usually aggressive,even when breeding, but that isn't a hard & fast rule

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
yes, angels and cats...OR geo's:) with the cutteri's gone a group of(small) geo's ,imo ,would be ok......angels(4 or so , no more) and a couple more low aggression SMALL cats would be ok too...geo's aren't usually aggressive,even when breeding, but that isn't a hard & fast rule
Well black lancers get about 8 or 9" so they get decently big but instead if two more smaller ones I could just do the one lancer. I do really like the idea of 4 angels as well, I'm just worried my giant danios would nip at their fins.

so could this work:

6 giant danios
4 angelfish
1 striped raphael catfish
1 gibbiceps pleco (growout)
1 black lancer OR 1 asian bb catfish OR 1 synodontis eupterus (I know I didn't mention the syno but I'm sure it would be fine)

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
so could this work:

6 giant danios
4 angelfish
1 striped raphael catfish
1 gibbiceps pleco (growout)
1 black lancer OR 1 asian bb catfish OR 1 synodontis eupterus (I know I didn't mention the syno but I'm sure it would be fine)
I would think that could work out well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store