Midas or red devil

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
See sticky at top of the page. This midas/rd question has been asked ad naseum over the years, hence why the sticky on this subject was created.

As far as venting, it depends on the experience of the person venting the fish, but typically at a fairly early age approx 3-5".

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Its a male midevil (midas red devil hybrid), you dont need to vent them, see the start of a kok on the head, and the long trailing anal and pectoral fins. And a beautiful specimen I might add.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Oh, and forget tank mates, these things combine the sheer aggression of a red devil (amphilophus labiatus) and the size strength of a midas (amphilophus citrinellus)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree, it does appear to be a young male, but females can also grow humps, long fins, etc, so that's not an exact science. Venting is the only truly accurate way of sexing this species.

As far as being a midevil, no one can simply eye ball your fish and tell you what you have. It just can't be done. See the sticky/s at the top of the page for more info.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Yes you can not label this as either. Especially from our area!
I have a little female thats a glass banging hump head lol.
Venting or adding another sure male will let you know what it is.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Neil been wondering for long time if that fish in your avatar is real or not and if so what is it lol, Koi? Is that you holding it :). Sorry had to ask

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I agree, it does appear to be a young male, but females can also grow humps, long fins, etc, so that's not an exact science. Venting is the only truly accurate way of sexing this species.

As far as being a midevil, no one can simply eye ball your fish and tell you what you have. It just can't be done. See the sticky/s at the top of the page for more info.
+1 to everything said here.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store