Delaware

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Please post water parameters ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. This could be an advanced eye fluke with a secondary infection. What were the events leading up to this and how long has the eye been showing signs of abnormality?

jlennon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Delaware
Please post water parameters ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. This could be an advanced eye fluke with a secondary infection. What were the events leading up to this and how long has the eye been showing signs of abnormality?
My water perimeters are; ph 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 15-20

The fish has had signs of cloudy eyes for a while now. This fish has been through a lot and I thought she was just getting old and going blind.

jlennon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Delaware
After some reading I think my O was ramming some driftwood. She sometime decides to jump hitting the top. She beats herself some times so I am thinking she hit something causing this issue. I will double check my parameters to make sure nothing is swinging.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
This could be a bacterial eye infection, treating with API Erythromycin or Mardel Maracyn (also Erythromycin) is an effective treatment. Most common eye infections are gram-positive and erythromycin is a very effective treatment if this is the case. A word of caution erythromycin being a useful antibiotic for gram-positive infections also makes it very hard on nitrifying bacteria especially in ph over 7.2 so ammonia levels should be monitored closely during treatment. Do a 50% water change and follow the instructions on the package. If the infection clears up we can see if prazi may be needed if the root cause was a fluke. At this point the eye may be permanently damaged and the fish may not regain its sight.

jlennon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Delaware
Thank you very much Aquanero.

jlennon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Delaware
Day two of API Erythromycin with salt added and a 50% w/c. I will be doing one more day of API and switching to Mardel Maracyn. I bought the LFS out of API. Day five I will do another 50% w/c and do another week of malafix.
Bacteria is being added and feeding is being increased to help increase the bio load.

On a positive side my O's eye is already looking better.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
How's this guy doing? Any updated pics?

jlennon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Delaware
How's this guy doing? Any updated pics?
My O is doing a lot better. The eye is clearing up and as far as I know I have not crashed the tank. I dosed a maintenance dose of BB when I did a w/c and I just did a full dose of BB.
I will snap some pics later tonight. Thanx for asking Aquanero. Happy Easter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store