Mix it up!! thoughts and experience about mixing aggressive species

arowana666

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
rotterdam holland
I am just wondering what your experiences are withe mixing aggressive species. And what you have at the moment
I have now in the same tank jaguar, oscar, jardini, channa pleuro and a redtail goerami. And it seems to go just ok.
They do have plenty of space.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AZCICHLIDZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
His old are your fish? I used to have a jag in a 125 with an oscar and a couple cons but when he was sexually mature he turned into a real jerk. I now have two oscars in there. It's a crap shoot with these aggressive species as each individual is different. I grew these fish up together and one day the jag turned on the oscar. My buddy has a big male jag in a 90 with a jack Dempsey and the jag is a big puppy dog. Bottom line is that you will never know until something happens, if it happens.

arowana666

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
rotterdam holland
Almost all the fish are 2 years or older except 1 oscar and 1 jaguar the other jag is about 5 years and over 1foot.
I am just curious what other people have mixt with or without problems.

Strohs58

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2009
Colorado
1450G 54ft2 floor but it is not the size i am worried about its the tank mates

Well Size of the tank goes a long way to aggressive species getting along in an artificial environment. Sounds large enough that it all might work within reason, but you never know, and just because some particular fish worked together in someone elses tank, doesn't mean you'll get the same results.

But good luck with what ever you choose.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I doubt the Ray will have a problem. It spends the majority of it's time at or near the bottom. Also his size will intimidate to an extent. The Channa I don't know about, we don't have them here and when we could I wasn't keeping tanks large enough to house them.

arowana666

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
rotterdam holland
I am just curios what mix of spec. Other people have that others might think is impossible or not a smart mix but still work for the person that is keeping them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store