New 6'x9' I door pond.

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey guys,

So I started building this with my 3 year old and he loves it! Gotta have patience as he wants to help screw in every screw! But great bonding time!

Any suggestions on the structure? I have a pond liner that is 12' x 15' so it will be coming up 3' on the sides and I plan on filling it 30" high.

Does this structure look sturdy enough?

I also plan on lining the inside with foam
Insulation before installing the liner.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397651018.146747.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397651037.497062.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397651048.803227.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397651066.549607.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397651076.673378.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397651085.390077.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397651096.909615.jpg

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
I have no suggestions for you but I'll be watching every step of the way. I need to start planning an indoor pond build myself. My 150g will only hold my ID Sharks for so long. I figure a pond would be easier and a lot cheaper then buying tanks to keep up with my fish.
Good luck - Amber

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I have no suggestions for you but I'll be watching every step of the way. I need to start planning an indoor pond build myself. My 150g will only hold my ID Sharks for so long. I figure a pond would be easier and a lot cheaper then buying tanks to keep up with my fish.
Good luck - Amber
Thanks! Yeah I just came I to some ID's myself, and the 300gallon Rubbermaid that they came with isn't big enough!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397652151.559868.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397652162.951796.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397652207.572718.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397652217.884825.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
So the bottom and the sides your going to fill with foam to fill the spaces? I would have put the liner in first then put the top bracing on. Those will make it hard yet fun (sarcasm)to put the liner in.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
So the bottom and the sides your going to fill with foam to fill the spaces? I would have put the liner in first then put the top bracing on. Those will make it hard yet fun (sarcasm)to put the liner in.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
Yeah I'm going to use 2" thick from boards...so it will Not be completely level, but oh well. Yeah I'm not looking forward to that part... I'm foreseeing a lot of frustration haha.

But apart from all the frustrations I will encounter with the liner...does the structure seem strong enough?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If it were me, I would apply a couple of coats of polyeurethane to all the wooden structures...especially the inside. I would worry about condensation from the pool liner that may adversely affect the wood in the long run.Also, where the 2X8 attaches to the railroad ties, I would use long bolts (with washers) instead of deck screws.

So, how are you gonna do squats now? ;)

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
If it were me, I would apply a couple of coats of polyeurethane to all the wooden structures...especially the inside. I would worry about condensation from the pool liner that may adversely affect the wood in the long run.

So, how are you gonna do squats now? ;)
Ok, I will def look into that. Don't want the wood rotting.

Haha as far as the squating and smith machine...I've been very lazy lately so I figured if I have a giant pond next to my weights maybe that will give me more incentive to go work out haha. But funny u said that, the pond is sitting exactly where all my work out stuff was...just had to cram it all into the front section of the garage lol

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
I haven't built a pond yet but have been looking into it. It looks pretty secure. If you're worried about it you could stack some 2x4 around the base up to like 6" our so, or you could find a way to mount the boards to the concrete floor of that's an option for you.
Also how you have the (what I'm assuming to be) 2x8 could allow them to bow out but since your using pond liner some flex isn't as big of a concern as long as it doesn't bust apart. I would definitely secure the boards to the railroad ties in the middle of the pond. If you're not sure overbuild it..... But, I think it looks good.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bbradtmiller

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks for the I put Corn Fed. I def am going to secure all te boards to the center brace (railroad ties) but I ran out of 4" screws so
I'm getting more tonight. I think over it is pretty good and I
Think your right, a little bow is ok since it will be a liner.

I could always get some metal L brackets and screw them to the bottom rail of boards and then to the concrete. Good point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store